Getting started…the first kit or drum that got you going

Posted: June 06, 2011 07:47 AM

freedomsteve

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

Hey guys,

I am rebuilding an old snare drum. It was actually given to me when I was about two years old, and to be honest it sat in my toy box enduring abuse from 3 boys until I came to the stark realization that this thing is a jewel.

It is missing is missing the badge, but I think is a an old Slingerland similar to the one below.

On a side note, when I was about 5-7 some dude gave me ten bucks (I was filthy rich!) and took the hoops and I believe the lugs off and put some old crappy ones on. :(

Posted: April 25, 2012 05:28 AM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

the first kit that got me going was a very sad excuse for a drumkit off ebay.It was black had those ratchet tom mounts and a snare drum that I felt like throwing through the window it was so pathetic.Trust me when I say that my PDP M5 kit is better becase it IS

Posted: April 25, 2012 07:38 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

My first kit was a real mishmash of pieces. My parents bought me a snare drum first when I was nine years old, just to gauge my interest in drumming. I can’t remember the brand, to be honest. Then they bought me a hi-hat pedal, which came with a couple early Zildjian cymbals. The bass drum and mounted tom were the next to arrive, and they were both made by Kent in a quasi mother-of-pearl wrap. That kit kept me busy for a few more years until my family moved overseas, and then my parents got me a gorgeous used Premier kit in Germany, which I played through most of my high school years. I wish I still had all of those drums.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com