DRUM! Magazine’s 20th Anniversary In 2011

Posted: July 17, 2010 10:10 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

It’s hard to believe that it was nearly two decades ago when Phil and I decided to start publishing our own drumming magazine following the demise of Drums & Drumming, the defunct drumming mag published by our former employers, Miller Freeman Publications. In retrospect, I have to say that closing D&D and laying us off was the best favor that Miller Freeman could have done for Phil and me. It has been a distinct privilege to bring drumming information to our readers for all of these years. I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

We are already scheming to make a big deal out of our 20th anniversary, and have some cool ideas up our sleeves. But I would love to hear what you think. Don’t worry if your ideas sounds too large or too small — go head and let me know what you think we should do for our 20th!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 01, 2010 08:05 PM

JoshuaDrums

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

I think that a larger New Blood section would be good! It’s one of my favorite parts of the magazine, so it would be cool to expand that for the anniversary.

Posted: September 02, 2010 06:34 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

I’m thinking pairs of autographed sticks by you and Phil. your favorite style and brand. Maybe 200 of them from you and 200 from Phil and at random give them to readers. I’m sure the stick companies would get in on it. Just totally at random send a pair with the 20th anniversary issue. Don’t even announce it either. Just imagine people’s faces when they a pair of sticks with your john hancock on them lol.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: September 02, 2010 06:37 AM

guarilio989

for real tho, a bigger new blood section would be great. 20 Years of Drum! would be cool too. Highlight the milestones or challenges overcome by the maker of the mag for the past 20 years. I think that’d be neat.

Signature 

Posted: September 02, 2010 10:46 AM

Dreeddrums

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 39
guarilio989 - 02 September 2010 06:37 AM

for real tho, a bigger new blood section would be great. 20 Years of Drum! would be cool too. Highlight the milestones or challenges overcome by the maker of the mag for the past 20 years. I think that’d be neat.

i like the 20 years of drum! maybe also a recap of whats happened in drumming and what the future holds. i also liked that stick idea. i want a pair. as for the new blood section its one of my favorites too, and it would be cool to make it bigger maybe for an issue or maybe just add one more person so there can be 3 instead of 2. i feel like if you put to many new people it will take away from what its supposed to do which is get your name out there, its the exclusivity that make it so good.

Signature 

I consider every drummer that’s Played before me an influence, in every way- buddie rich

Posted: September 02, 2010 08:51 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

for real tho, a bigger new blood section would be great.

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the input. We’ve published the New Blood column in every issue of the magazine for the past 19+ years. It’s a real cornerstone. I’d love to know why you would like for us to expand it.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 03, 2010 09:12 PM

guarilio989

well I personally love finding new drummers with growing talent and I’m sure there’s more than two new decent drummers a month. It also gives people more motivation to get better and try to promote their gifts. I just think its a great avenue for people to grow in the drumming community.

Signature 

Posted: September 06, 2010 10:45 AM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165
guarilio989 - 03 September 2010 09:12 PM

well I personally love finding new drummers with growing talent and I’m sure there’s more than two new decent drummers a month. It also gives people more motivation to get better and try to promote their gifts. I just think its a great avenue for people to grow in the drumming community.

Bookmarking this.

Posted: September 06, 2010 11:17 AM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165

Highlight the milestones or challenges overcome by the maker of the mag for the past 20 years. I think that’d be neat.

I keep asking for 24/7 cameras to follow Phil and Andy but so far they haven’t been too keen on the idea.

Posted: September 07, 2010 01:05 PM

guarilio989

David Pak - 06 September 2010 11:17 AM

Highlight the milestones or challenges overcome by the maker of the mag for the past 20 years. I think that’d be neat.

I keep asking for 24/7 cameras to follow Phil and Andy but so far they haven’t been too keen on the idea.

lol

Signature 

Posted: September 07, 2010 01:35 PM

Phil Hood

• Administrator RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

All right,
I’ll consider a head-mounted cam—that way we’ll always be on.

Seriously, I think discussing how to cover more new groups, up-and-coming drummers, local drummers and drummers who are just plain overlooked is really useful. I’d love to see if anyone is interested in:

The Best Players You Never Heard Of: Unknowns, maybe it’s the local player you’ve always thought was amazing but has never been in any great bands.

New Blood—expanding what we already do to include video submissions.

New Bands—there’s always a lot of them and we only get to a fraction of them in our short “Vibe” features in the magazine.

Letting readers vote for new talent that gets coverage

Overlooked drummers—who are those guys you may have heard of once but they’ve been keeping busy and playing great music for 10, 20 years or more?

Comments?

Posted: September 08, 2010 09:51 PM

Drumfiend

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

We are already scheming to make a big deal out of our 20th anniversary, and have some cool ideas up our sleeves. But I would love to hear what you think. Don’t worry if your ideas sounds too large or too small — go head and let me know what you think we should do for our 20th!

“MORE COWBELL”!!!
As my user name denotes I love all things “DRUMS” and I have been subscribing to your magazine every since I first became interested in playing the drums. I am very grateful for Phill and you providing your talents in producing a great magazine that helps us all quench our thirst from month to month. I honestly appreciate your ambition of enhancing the magazine by using the actual readers as a source of input. Hey, you ever thought about running for government? How’s this sound: Andy & Phill For President!!!!
OK at least think about it…..
Well I’ve been kicking some ideas around every since my first time I logged onto the forum, my first idea you have all ready scooped me on. I’m referring to the article with Shawn Pelton and Kenny Aronoff: How to learn a song. I wanted to see indepth how to chart a song.
I have no formal drum education so I would like to know how the pros do it. Along this same line maybe an article or tutorial on music theory and how it becomes applied theory. I’ve no clue….
Perhaps a lesson on how to recognize the different structures of a song, ie: chorus, verses and bridges, and what the drums do to help mark, or direct, these parts of a song. Maybe pick a song (something from AC/DC would work well) and discus the composition of the song and what the drums are doing to converse with the other musicians, as well as hooking the listeners ear to anticipate what is happening in the song.
I really am fascinated with the history of stiles of music, the origins, and the drummers of the different eras that helped propel the stiles forward. Maybe discuss what each drummer did to put their own stamp on each stile.
I’m gonna put a cap on this so I don’t just keep rambling, beside that, I would bet that any valid idea I have you’ve already done it, But before I do, I have one more thought to throw out….
“Drummers Quotable Quotes”. Profane, funny or intriguing, different quotes thru out recorded time that drummers have contributed. One quote that has meant alot to me is from John Riley, where I believe he responded to a comment from someone about his gift, he said: ” people say that some drummers are gifted. What gift? The gift is to find something your passionate about, enough to explore it. Develop yourself and grow in, and with your passion, EVEN when those around you don’t share in your passion….

Posted: September 14, 2010 07:38 PM

Drumfiend

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

All righty then. I got nothin….

Posted: September 18, 2010 02:30 PM

guarilio989

Phil Hood - 07 September 2010 01:35 PM

New Blood—expanding what we already do to include video submissions.

Being able to watch the video submissions would be bangin’! (no pun intended) maybe put a link to that on the main site too. that would be awesome!

Signature