Charlie Benante

Posted: June 27, 2011 08:33 AM

zombiehanson

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 6

Charlie Benante is my all-time fav drummer. I hope you guys do an issue with him soon. Also check out his website here

Posted: August 06, 2011 02:01 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

Hi, zombiehanson! I’m very happy to say that Charlie will be on the cover of the neXt issue! I love the guy’s drumming talent as well, so I was thrilled to see this, too. His fill after the 1st chorous in “AntiSocial”, albiet simple, is 1 of my fave fills in metal! BTW, his new TAMA Signature Pallette Snare drum sounds GREAT! Give it a test drive @ the drum shop that you go to!

Posted: August 06, 2011 06:43 AM

zombiehanson

• Newbie Rank

That’s awesome news. I do own the Signature snare drum and it does sounds great. It is a very versatile drum! Is it ok to post about the cover? Do you have a pic of the cover yet?

Posted: August 06, 2011 07:50 AM

drumbri24

Hello again! Alas, I do not have a pic of the cover as of yet. I think that it’s absolutly great that you own the TAMA Benante Signature Palette Snare, as well. Like Charlie himself saus on TAMA’s Promotional Video, it’s a very eclectic & versatile snare. For me, I have found it appropriate from (of course) metal & rock, but-to my GREAT surprise-jaZZ applications! I’ve found that when I play it in trad. grip, it’s capable of amaZing sensetivity & gives out terriffic ghost notes! & for me, ghost notes are a HUGE part of MY particular style of playing. Keep posting, & BTW, if you collect all of your back issues of “DRUM!”, check out ‘Vol. 12, #4 (the June/July 2003 issue). On pg.115 for the “Drum Parts” section “NoBody Knows Anything” is transcribed in full. There’s even a drum diagram of Benante’s on pg. 116! & in issue #145 (July 2008 w/ Jason McGerr on the cover), there’s a feature article ““Drummers/Songwriters-MultiTask Mojo” in which Benante is interviewed along w/ mike Portnoy & Brian Vodinh. Just some recc. on further Benante reading! Be well!

Posted: August 06, 2011 08:29 AM

zombiehanson

• Newbie Rank

Awesome! Looks like I will have to hit the store up for the DRUM! Jun/Jul-03 issue! I do have the other one! I forgot all about the article in that issue! Looking forward to the next issue! Thanx. Have you checked out his web site yet? www.charliebenante.com?

Posted: September 02, 2011 08:02 AM

drumbri24

Well, zombiehanson, the October 2011 “DRUM!” Issue is here!!! The cover story on Charlie is amazing, to say the least! Plus, the 20 years retrospective @ the end of the issue is a great addition. Kudos to Andy & all of the “DRUM!” Staff for that one! Being a total addict of drum diagrams, It was amazing to see his 1991 Tama/Paiste setup! The interview is very enlightening, as well as candid, & thorough.

I can certainly see why you admire Charlie Benante as much as you do ; not only is he a GREAT drummer & pioneer of the Metal/Thrash genre (the aforementioned goes w/out even saying), but his multi-talent/tasking & his very casual, yet very intelligent way of coming accross makes him a unique drummer in more ways than just his chops & skill behind the kit!

Earlier you wrote that he is your all-time favorite drummer…well, you chose an excellent role model all around!
Brian JeZuit

Posted: September 05, 2011 11:06 AM

zombiehanson

• Newbie Rank

Awesome!!! When does it hit the news stands? I am going to have to buy at least 3 copies!

Posted: September 06, 2011 07:18 AM

drumbri24

Hey, zombiehanson!
Being that I recieved my subcriber’s copy on September 2nd, I’m guessing that it’ll hit the news stand in about 7 to 10 days. That’s how it works w/ other periodicals that I subcribe to, but as far as “DRUM!” goes, I cannot say for sure. I will, however, find out for you & let you know as soon as I do!

Wow…3 copies, huh? I do the same thing whenever Neil Peart (MY personal drum hero) hits the cover! 1 to read, 1 to collect, & 1 to frame for my studio (or to frame photos/ads from).
The other day I was thinking that out of “DRUM!” magazine & the other drumming periodicals that I subscribe to, this is the 1st cover feature of Charlie’s that I have! & I must say, although I have several other articles, transcriptions, & features w/ him, it IS cool to have him in a cover feature!
Thanks to all of the “DRUM!” Staff for that 1 !!!

Posted: September 06, 2011 12:59 PM

zombiehanson

• Newbie Rank

We must have been separated at birth because the same reasons i buy 3 you buy 3. LOL! 1 for the bathroom (reading material! lol), 1 goes in a bag & board, and the other goes on my wall!