Yamaha Subkick

Posted: July 22, 2010 02:53 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Does anybody else out there own a Yamaha Subkick? I bought mine years ago when it was first introduced, and have used it just a handful of times. It is only appropriate when you amplify your bass drum through really big P.A. systems, but soundmen have loved it whenever I’ve used it. It’s essentially a speaker that has been reverse-wired to pick up sound rather than project it, so its diaphragm is huge when compared to most bass drum microphones, which enables it to capture really low frequencies. It’s a luxury, for sure, but a great bass drum microphone.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 24, 2010 09:50 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

It is a great microphone,  definitely a luxury, and out of the price range for a lot of drummers… mine anyway. I don’t think my wife would approve of me spending that kind of cash on a single microphone. Especially if I still need another internal mic. to pick up the higher frequencies. Maybe someday. Until than, I’ve got my trusty AKGD112.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 13, 2010 11:26 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Can you change the front head on them? Yamaha already took enough $; why give them the free advertisment? Why not do something original, or make it match the kick design?

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 13, 2010 12:49 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Good question! I’ll dig mine out and let you know.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: January 30, 2011 11:14 AM

scorch whammin

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 5

Yes you can change the front head out on it if you like (it’s just a mesh head)...however, for us guys who have/own Yamaha drums…I don’t mind advertising for them….

Posted: February 14, 2011 01:28 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

Just made a ‘subkick’ to match my new set- total cost about $65 and it works GREAT!!! The sound guy is VERY happy as I keep my bass front head on and uncut- this helps him get that low rumble without the feedback. I made my own heads for it by stretching speaker grill material over old cut out heads (just the aluminum ring) and glued. I also mike the batter side with the regular bass mike by the beater. You can search many sites about building one- some helpful- some not as much….

Posted: March 06, 2011 12:29 PM

NickMason

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 36

I have used home made ones in the studio before and they work wonderfully. I would love to get one of the Yamaha ones because they are sharper looking than one you can do on your own, but I just can’t justify the cost.

Signature 

~Nick
nickmason.org