Need help with drum roll

Posted: July 25, 2010 04:58 AM

harrymabrams

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

I’ve been playing for a little over a year now and still can’t get a decent drum roll going. I start slow and try to build up speed and then it sounds like crap. One hand seems to go faster than the other. Any suggetions?

Posted: July 25, 2010 09:10 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

It would help if you could give me an idea of the kind of roll you want to play (single-stroke, double-stroke, pressed roll?) But actually, whichever you are working on, the most important thing is to avoid increasing your speed beyond your present abilities. Practice playing the roll at the fastest speed you can handle without compromising evenness and precision. If you feel that one hand isn’t keeping up with the other, slow down. It’s always a great idea to practice with a metronome, and slowly increase your speed by a few bpms at a time. Your ability to play fast rolls will increase over time. Just keep practicing.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 25, 2010 03:23 PM

NICKMARK16346

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

I guess you mean double roll. if you have patience try this. Starting playing quartet notes LLRR at 100 bpm for 40 meters. Relax for 30’’ then start again the same scenario at 104, 108, 112 bpm till you get up to 200. Then place the metronome at the 100 bpm again but now start to play eights notes per click. again 40 meters - relax- 104 bpm etc up to 200 bpm. Then set the metronome again at the 100 bpm and start all over again playing sixteen notes per click. Remember to get closer to the drums as you go faster and let the sticks bounds.
It is gonna take you about 2+ hours to do it.  Do it that everyday and you’ll see the results soon. Focus on balance,control and relaxation than the speed.Speed is going to come.

I hope that’s help

Nick
Athens
Greece

Posted: July 26, 2010 04:14 AM

harrymabrams

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

Single and Double stroke rolls. Could age be a factor? I started learning at 49 yrs old when I my wife found out I always wanted to learn to play.

Posted: July 26, 2010 07:35 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Hi Harry,

Age shouldn’t be a factor, and I think Nick gave you the right advice. It’s all about relaxed, controlled, methodical, and goal-oriented practice. No matter what hurdle you are trying to get over, the worst things you can do are to tense up and try to go too fast too soon. However, if you really feel that you can’t overcome this problem on your own, take a lesson or two with a local drum teacher and have him or her really evaluate the technique you use while playing rolls. It will be well worth a few bucks it will cost.

You just started down a long road of discovery. Enjoy the ride!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 27, 2010 09:54 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

Use a metronome, get lessons if you can, start slowly and build up. I started by practicing doubles on a pillow. If you can play then on a pillow, you can play them on anything.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.