Drum & Cymbal Company Loyalty

Posted: August 10, 2011 09:49 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Good morning everyone! I hope all is well w/ everyone out there. I wanted to start a topic re: the loyalty that we may (or may not)have w/ certain drum/cymbal companies.
I particularly am aiming this post @ those of us, like myself, who aren’t endorsed by anyone. Just us drummers that might have a certain allegiance to any single company. For example, I’m a DW guy @ heart-no question about it! I’ve owned 3 kits prior to my DW Collector’s Maple : My 1st kit on my 16th B-Day-a Ludwig Super Classic 4 piece in a Champegnie Sparkle wrap, a Pearl Export Pro 5 piece in black covered finish w/ black shell hdwr., & a Sonor Delite 7 piece in a Satin Oil Cherry finish. DW was always a dream to me until I graduated college in 2005 (I waited 8 years from my HS grad year of ‘93 to start college in ‘01). My parent’s College Grad gift to me was the kit of my dreams; a 9 piece DW Collector’s Maple kit (kick, 2 snares, 3 rack toms, & 3 floor toms) w/ VLT in a Sea Green Lacquer Specialty w/ Black Chrome hdwr. & if that’s not a dream come true enough, I recieved a DW 5002 Accelerator double pedal, a 5500 2-leg HiHat stand, & 9000 series hdwr. w/ it!
From the time I began my journey into drumming @ 16 to 2003, I was strictly a Zildjian man. That is, until MY ‘drum god’ (& the primary influence for me to pick up a pair of sticks in the 1st place) Neil Peart launched a Signature line (Paragon) w/ Sabian! Since then, I’ve truly fallen in love w/ Sabian for the company that it is & the cymbals that they produce. My heads have always been (& will always be) Remo, & my sticks have been Pro-Mark since day 1.
I oft-times wonder if any other drummers out there feel a small sense of guilt or uneasiness if they purchase another make than they usually play. I do. Case in point, recently I bought a used Yamaha 14"x5.5” ‘Kabuto’ snare drum (they came out in late ‘07—beaded steel shell w/ a red lacquer finish). I absolutly love it, but feel uneasy b/c the only time that I’ve deviated from DW or DW Pacific snare drums is when the drum is a signature model of a drummer that I greatly admire (i.e., Tama’s Copeland, Portnoy [Melody Master], & Phillips’ Pagent or Sonor’s Carey). I’ve always loved the sound of the Zildjian Oriental China ‘Classical’ but cannot bring myself to buy it due to the fact that every cymbal that I own is from Sabian! I recently filled in for a drummer acquaintance & he had a Zildjian Oriental ‘Crash Of Doom’ 20” & it was 1 of the coolest cymbals that I’ve ever played—I want 1 but again, same dilemma!
If there’s anyone that can relate to this in any way, I’d really love to hear about it. I’d love some general feedback from all of you out there, as well. Am I cheating myself out of some great instruments? Or is this more common than I think…any help or feedback is MORE than welcome Thank you all,
Brian JeZuit

Posted: August 15, 2011 06:24 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Loyalty has gone out the window for me in the last 5 years.  I’ve switched from Remo to Evans, and from Zildjain to Sabian.  I’ve always bounced around with stick manufactures, although I do prefer Zildjain, and recently Los Cabos, but they’re hard to come by.

The one thing I am loyal to is my Trick pedal.  I dont’t see myself ever buying a different pedal.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: August 21, 2011 05:01 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

I’m loyal to what works and sounds nice. I have a mix of cymbals on my Gretsch USA Customs but all the hardware is DW (9000 and 5000 series). I like Protection Racket cases but I plan to buy a Renunion Blues cymbal bag.

GJS

Posted: August 21, 2011 07:45 AM

drumbri24

Good morning everyone!

Skulmoski, you bring up a terriffic point of view…being loyal to what SOUNDS the best (BTW, personally, I’ve never played a Gretsch kit that sounded bad—from the ‘BlackHawk’, the ‘Catalina’, to the ‘Renown Maple’, & the USA Cuatoms).

That being said, DW & Sabian ARE what works the best-for this drummer! As I aforementioned, I switched from Zildjian to Sabian initally b/c Neil Peart launched his Sabian Paragon line in ‘03. I did, however, quickly discover that I really loved ALL of the Sabian models that I tried (HHX, Hand Hammered, & Signature in particular). As far as DW goes, from the 1st time that I ‘test drove’ a Collector’s Maple’ kit in 2002, I was sold on them & finally got 1 in ‘05!
I’ve been a Latin Percussion fan since I can remember, but have tried out the various percussion pieces that have been marketed since I started 20 years ago (i.e., Menil’s percussion & Pearl’s percussion, as well as GonBops-made by DW). LP remains the best for my playing style & sound choices.

Remo heads & Pro-Mark sticks—well, since day 1. You are absolutley correct, though. We drummers need to find the gear that suits us as players. Pick what you use b/c is sounds the best to you & works the best for your playing style & genre(s) of music that you play!

Thanks for the post & keep the conversation going. I’m quite interested as to where others stand on this issue as well!!!
Brian JeZuit

Posted: September 11, 2011 03:59 PM

Yetso97

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

I’m kind of flip floppy on cymbals, my band hasn’t gone anywhere yet (literally, just jamming in my room), so I just end up with low end Meinl Cymbals because they last and dont sound too terrible. Although, when I do get nice cymbals, they WILL be Sabian, it seems like they’re the only company that I can get the right mix of sounds.

Drum-wise, I’ve been a Tama fan for a LONG time… I forgot what series it was but the first higher level kit I actually tried out was a Tama and I’ve been hooked since, I can’t think of a reason other than it just felt right.

Vater Sticks/Evans Heads.

Signature 

Phrasing people!!! Phrasing!!!

Posted: September 12, 2011 05:41 PM

drumbri24

Hey thanks for your post, Yetso97! We appriciate all of those who take the time to share their thoughts & opinions re: the drumming & percussion world & community w/ us here!
Sabian definitley has the right mix of sounds for me not only as a drummer, but for the genres of music that I play. Although I prefer playing in the rock genres ; prog, modern, & classic to be precise—My steady 3x’s/month gig is w/ a blues guitarist! But even there, Sabian has never let me down! For me, & I can only really speak for myself, the Sabian lines have it all…weather it’s any 1 of the rock sub-genres that I aforementioned or my blues playing, I can get the sounds that I & the music style(s) need from my Sabians.
I’m glad that you’re happy (A least for now) w/ your Meinls! I’ve played only a few of their lines. Out of the major cymbal companies, Meinl is the 1 that I have the least experience w/. I’ve played some of the SoundCaster & SoundCaster Customs, Jason Bittner’s 20"Mb10 Bell Blast Ride, & since I’m a FANATIC of bell & cup chime effects cymbals, 1 of my students gave me a Classics Series 8” Medium Bell to try out for a few weeks. That 1 I absolutley adored!
Also, it’s really good that you know what you like w/ drums (Tama), heads (Evans), & sticks (Vater)!
Neil Peart once said that it’s pivotal that we drummers develop our OWN sound—take what we love from our role models, yes-but eventually develop OUR sound. The sound that makes us, well, US! & our gear is the conduit TO developing that unique sound, along w/ our technique!
It’s no secret that Neil is MY personal drum god & I eat up any advice & wisdom that he shares, but I believe that this advice—weather one likes him or not—rings very, very true!
Thanks again for taking the time to post! We can all learn from one another & we’re all in this awe-inspiring journey together!
Be well, Brian JeZuit

Posted: September 12, 2011 07:28 PM

Yetso97

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

The MB10 Bell Blast is the only high end cymbal that I’ll deviate from Sabian with, I love doing bell work on the ride and the first time I tried the bell blast it blew me away, if I ever had the money I’d see if I could get Meinl to make me just the bell, its so strong and distinct, its the one thing I can’t find on a Sabian ride, Large, Powerful Bell.

Signature 

Phrasing people!!! Phrasing!!!

Posted: April 27, 2012 01:37 AM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

I will stick with PDP and Sabian as I love these two brands.Admittedly I am swapping from Zildjian to Sabian.BUT because I CHOOSE to not because of such and such.It`s what sounds best for each individual drummer and that`s what I stick by with everything I buy drum related.

Posted: April 27, 2012 01:39 AM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
drumbri24 - 21 August 2011 07:45 AM

Good morning everyone!

Skulmoski, you bring up a terriffic point of view…being loyal to what SOUNDS the best (BTW, personally, I’ve never played a Gretsch kit that sounded bad—from the ‘BlackHawk’, the ‘Catalina’, to the ‘Renown Maple’, & the USA Cuatoms).

That being said, DW & Sabian ARE what works the best-for this drummer! As I aforementioned, I switched from Zildjian to Sabian initally b/c Neil Peart launched his Sabian Paragon line in ‘03. I did, however, quickly discover that I really loved ALL of the Sabian models that I tried (HHX, Hand Hammered, & Signature in particular). As far as DW goes, from the 1st time that I ‘test drove’ a Collector’s Maple’ kit in 2002, I was sold on them & finally got 1 in ‘05!
I’ve been a Latin Percussion fan since I can remember, but have tried out the various percussion pieces that have been marketed since I started 20 years ago (i.e., Menil’s percussion & Pearl’s percussion, as well as GonBops-made by DW). LP remains the best for my playing style & sound choices.

Remo heads & Pro-Mark sticks—well, since day 1. You are absolutley correct, though. We drummers need to find the gear that suits us as players. Pick what you use b/c is sounds the best to you & works the best for your playing style & genre(s) of music that you play!

Thanks for the post & keep the conversation going. I’m quite interested as to where others stand on this issue as well!!!
Brian JeZuit

We must have like minds Brian I too have swapped from Zildjian to Sabiand and I own a PDP/DW kit and I use Remo heads too. Scary

Posted: April 29, 2012 07:45 PM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank

As of today I`m officialy a Sabian devotee I have AAX and a B8 as follows l to r

AAX 13” X-Celerator Hihats
        AAX 18” X-plosion Crash
        B8   20” Ride
        AAX 16” X-plosion Crash

This with my PDP M5 Cherry to Black fade kit as follows l to r
        Snare 5x14”
        Rack toms 8x10,9x12”
        Bass 18x22”
Heads as follows l to r
      Snare Remo Coated Ambassador
      Rack toms Clear Emperors
      Bass       Clear Powerstroke Pro
Who says brand loyalty is gone Not with me
    ...and sticks Vic Firth 7a or Vicgrip 7a

Posted: April 29, 2012 10:13 PM

drumbri24

Hi everyone! & yes, ‘PDP drummer’, we DO have like minds in the gear that we choose to use & for what sounds the best for our respective styles of music & drumming! I have a DW Collector’s Maple Kit that was a college graduation gift from my folks! It IS the kit of my dreams. 22” x 18” X-shell Kick, &, left to right, 10”, 12”, or 13” Aux. snare drum (DW or DW/PDP), 14” x 11” X-shell floor tom, 14” main snare (DW VLT maple or Edge snares usually-sometimes Tama Signature Pallette Copeland, Portnoy, &/or Phillips, or Sonor’s Smith &/or Carey snares), 8” x 7”, 10” x 8”, & 12” x 9” VLT-shell STM mounted rack toms, 16"x 13” & 18” x 14” VLX-shell floor toms, & a 21” x 16” DW VLX-shell Gong Bass drum. It’s in a sea-foam green Lacquer Specialty w/ Black-Chrome hardware. All of the pedals/hardware are DW 9000, inc. a 9000 3-sided rack, 9002 double pedal, 9500 2-legged hi hat stand, 9300 (for the main snare) & 9303 ( for the side-FX snares) snare stands, 9502LB remote-cable hi hat stand, & 9100M throne. It’s my 10-piece mater-work (no ‘Pearl’ pun intended). It is 1 of the greatest material gifts that I have ever been given & I’ll cherish it for the rest of my life! I also have an 8-piece Sonor Designer ‘maple-light’ kit in a wine-red satin oil finish ( kick, 2 snares, 3 rack toms, & 2 floor toms) that was my pride & joy ‘till the DW came along! The Sonor Designer was my 1st truly Professional kit! I still have it, sleeping in it’s cases w/ all of the Sonor 600 series hwdr./pedals! BTW< I LOVE the DW/PDP M5 kits! I ‘test drove’ 1 @ Dale’s Drum Shop, which is the closest 5-Star Drum Shop to me (I live in Allentown, PA & it’s in Harrisburg). All-maple, lacquer finishes, FAST-sized toms,STM mounting system, & the ability to add-on 8” x 7” & 16” x 14” toms…for the price? Amazing. I loved the sound-great attack, nice even sustain & no “in your ear"unwanted overtones, & the kit was on the showroom floor, so it had the stock PDP/Remo UT heads! I wish that a kit like the M5 was availible when I started drumming on my 16th Birthday in ‘91! But 20 yrs (on June 13th-21 yrs) ago, entry-level kits were NOT that great @ all! Drums like DW/PDP’s M5 were not even a gleam in any manufacturer’s eyes then. I was somewhat fortunate, though. My folks bought a used kit from a friend’s parents. It just happened to be an ‘89 Ludwig Super Classic in a champegne sparkle wrap finish. 22” x 16” kick, 13” x 9” rack tom-bass drum mounted, & a 16” x 16” floor tom. It came w/ a Supraphonic 402 snare! As far as the condition, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best), I give it an honest 7.5! My local music store fixed it up for me (mostly cosmetic-the shells were in excellent condition & in perfect round). It came w/ all Ludwig hdwr. & the venerable Speed King pedal! smile Also, it came w/ five Zildjian cymbals ; 13” A New Beat Hats, 22” A Ping Ride, 18” A Rock Crash, 20” A Medium Crash, & a 20” A China-Low (the pies were in GREAT condition). My folks paid out $1,000 for the entire setup-4 pc. kit, hdwr./pedals, & the 5 Zildjians…a great deal for a 1st kit! I guess I was fortunate! I threw all Remo Coated Ambassadors on the snare/tom batters, SA snare-side & clear Amb’s for the tom resonants, & a clear Powerstroke 3 kick batter (the front head was the white-coated Ludwig Logo w/ a 5” hole for a mike when the previous owner used to play out w. it). I got my 1st pair of Pro-Mark Neil Peart 747 Autograph Model sticks & went to town! Good times…good times! Sadly, & through no fault but my own, the only thing that I have left of that particular setup is the 14” x 5.5” Supraphonic 402 Alloy Snare. I sold the rest to help pay for my Sonor Designer kit. I was worth it, but I’d be lying if I wrote that I did not wish to still have my 1st kit ever.
Brian Jezuit

Posted: June 12, 2012 08:55 AM

tkmud73

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

hello all. over the past 3 years, i’ve become very loyal to Saluda Cymbals.  after breaking a bunch of other brand’s cymbals, i just wanted an alternative and discovered these guys and it works well for me.  although i don’t have a lot of money, i don’t have a complete Saluda setup as of yet, but i just need to replace my hi hats.  i think brand loyalty should be important, but it shouldn’t be over-zealous.  find what works for you and go with it for as long as you like.

Posted: June 13, 2012 08:10 PM

erniek

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 16

In the “my two cents & for what its worth ” department:

When I was finally able to afford my “dream” kit some years back, I went with Tama. My reasoning was that the Japanese have some awesome drum groups; so who better to build em. When I went looking for my first hat, I was in a GC. Sales guy was more interested in selling a kit to another customer (which he didn’t) than selling a couple of cymbals to this old dog. On my way out of the store, I finger flicked a pair of Paiste sound edge hats. Said “hot damn,” that’s what I’m looking for. Went home and ordered them on line.

Love Paiste. But, also have heard other players cymbals that just seem to sound better in certain gigs. The point is that loyalty can cripple you to a certain degree. Perhaps not so much with drums, but cymbals can be dangerous. I have done the big no-no of ordering without playing on several occasions. To date, I am very satisfied with the result. Some of the sounds were “unique”, but with my style of playing I could find room for them.

Bottom line is: play it and like it before you buy it. I am not complaining, but it it does get damn expensive catering to ones musical ear.

Posted: June 13, 2012 08:15 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 108

@erniek You sound like a Stewart Copeland fan. Is that where you got the idea to play Paiste and Tama?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com