purchasing a double bass pedal

Posted: August 12, 2011 06:03 AM

dwayne

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

hey can anyone recommend me which double bass pedal should i purchase.i live in india so i cant really try them out .i have a budget of around 700$ .i play metal as well as jazz

Posted: August 12, 2011 07:50 AM

drumbri24

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

Hi Dwayne. Being that you have a budget of around $700 (I’m going to make the presumption that you are speaking in the terms of US dollars), I will make the reccomendation of the DW 9002 double pedal. Although I’m partial to the DW make ( & I make no effort to hide this), there are several reasons as to why this particular pedal would be the best for metal & jazz applications…a) it has a dual-chain drive—to me these are better than the nylon straps that can sometimes b/c ‘slack’. Dual-chain driven pedals are quite durable. Yes, the chain can break under extreme pressure, but this has b/c VERY rare, even when used by metal drummers who play @ 170+ bpms. b) the adjustable spring tension is not only 1 of the easiest to use, but it has nearly infinate possibilities. There are even numbers above the chain hoop so you can remember (w/ the greatest of ease) what setting that you have it on & c) this particular model of double pedal has won in many Consumer Polls. It is the pedal of chioce for drummers that do not even play DW drums or even DW hdwr. Foe example, the great Steve Smith…he has been a Sonor endorser for 34 years for both their drums & hdwr. BUT plays a 9002 DW double pedal (or the 9002 DW Titanium Model).

Other good choices would include the TAMA Iron Cobra Power-Glide, the Axis Longboards, or Pearl Demon Drive Eliminator (this pedal has a Direct Drive, which is great for metal, but for your jazz playing, I’d go w/ the dual-chains). All of these are w/in your said budgetI hope that I’ve been of some assistance & have answered your question. Thanks for posting & let us know what you choose.

Posted: August 13, 2011 09:41 AM

dwayne

• Newbie Rank

thanks for the advise an yes i was speaking in the terms of the us dollars onlt.hey and if i play only metal which pedal would u advise me to go for because i play more of metal than jazz

Posted: August 14, 2011 02:43 AM

drumbri24

Hi Dwayne. OK, I’m glad that my presumption of US dollars was correct. W/ you rather liberal budget, the great news is that you can purchase virtually any great pedal out there, that being said since you say that metal is the genre that you play the most, I’d go w/ a driect drive pedal. Great examples of these are the Axis A Longboards, the Axis Derek Roddy Signature pedal (it does come in a double model), Yamaha’s Flying Dragon direct drive model, & the Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive! Also, albeit not a direct drive pedal, the DW 8000 series double pedal (dual-chain drive) was created by the company for metal applications in particular!

My best advice to you is to somehow, if possible, “test-drive” these to see which is right for you. Almost all of the above mentioned pedals are longboards for heel-up playing, which is most common among the metal drumming community (the Yamaha is a split-board & the Pearl Demon Drive is convertable to either). I know that you mentioned that you cannot really try them out freely, so MY personal suggestion would be either 1 of the Axis models or the Pearl Demon Drive. I’ve personaly played on all of the pedals mentioned & those were the ones that gave my feet the greatest speed, accuracy, w/ the least effort.

I do hope that I’ve been of some assistance to you & I’m very happy that you brought this question to the “DRUM!” Forum! I wish you the best in your pedal purchasing( it’s awesome, isn’t it?) & please feel free to ask anytning re: this subject or any other!
Brian JeZuit

Posted: August 15, 2011 06:17 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Check out http://www.trickpercussionproducts.com/.  I have the Pro-1 V.  The big foot is identical, except for the longboard.  The Dominator is just a scaled back bigfoot.  I love the compression spring.  It has a unique feel, and is the easiest tension spring to adjust.  Lots of adjustment features, fast, smooth, and built to last.  Trcik is the most expensive pedal out there, but it’s worth it.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: August 15, 2011 08:47 AM

drumbri24

Hey, bigbeat! The Trick Pro-1 V double pedal IS really cool. & yes, expnsive, but worth the $...as they say, “you get what you pay for”. This, in my 20+ years, I have found true most particularly in drum gear ! If you buy a cheap kit, you’ll probably (w/ a few exceptions) get a cheap sounding kit. Drumming is what I consider my life’s life’s main passion! My ‘sub-passion’ is grum gear in particular! A gear-head I am!!! There’s no hope for me there (LOL)! I love it-down to the last lug nut.

I was unaware that Trick pedals are the most costly, but I appriciate the knowledge, bigbeat! Keep posting & thanks again!
Brian JeZuit

Posted: August 19, 2011 04:24 AM

dwayne

• Newbie Rank

Hey I have decided to go with the Axis Longboards.Thanks for the advise guys really helped me a lot in choosing it and one last thing which place in west palms beach would be the cheapest to purchase the pedal and by any chance do youl know how much customs would i have to pay at the Indian airport to get my pedals out of the   airport ?I know its stupid to ask youl this but still by any chance if youl know about it great it would help a lot!!!!!!

Posted: August 19, 2011 09:05 PM

drumbri24

Hey Dwayne-great choice w/ the Axis A Longboards! I’m really glad that you found a double pedal that is right for you.

As far as your other questions re: the most inexpensive place in West Palm Beach to purchase the pedal & Customs @ an Indian Airport…I have no idea! I will try to get the answers for you, though!

Good luck & enjoy your new gear!!!
Brian JeZuit

Posted: August 19, 2011 11:02 PM

dwayne

• Newbie Rank

Thanks Brian, please let me know about the above information as fast as you can as i have to tell my friend about it he is gonna purchase it for me .he lives near the West Palm Beach. he is gonna leave from the US on the 8th of September i guess.so please please could u let me know about it fast !!!!