Car Part Drum Set

Posted: September 13, 2011 12:00 PM

jordan.hill

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

Hey everyone,

I have been building a drum/percussion set out of used car parts for a while now, and it is finally finished.  I have titled the project - Motor Rhythms.  You can see more photos on my blog if you are interested. 

http://motorrhythms.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you guys think.  I am now working on getting a video recording of the set in action.

Thanks,

Jordan

Posted: September 27, 2011 01:46 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

Jordan- looks cool and I know it has to sound great- I’ve used parts in the past from automotive sources but you seem to have ‘The Works’- it will be interesting to hear. Ever thought about making some of your own since you seem to have the metalworking talents? I’ve used my English wheel and planishing hammer for some strange metal effects but have to work with better materials- need more resonance!!!

Posted: September 27, 2011 03:19 PM

rosegate

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 36

Way to go Jordan.
And, I also would definitely would like to see more homemade metallic instruments. It makes a big difference what materials you start out with. Wa

Posted: September 27, 2011 10:03 PM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

Dude thats awesome! I love the creativity. hurry up with that vid of you playing! lol

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: September 30, 2011 01:57 PM

jordan.hill

• Newbie Rank

Thanks guys.  It has taken me a while to put it together, but it has been fun.  I am still figuring out how to play it because of the melodic sounds it is a lot different than playing a regular kit.

@gbond - This project has definitely made me think about other possibilities with metal and sound.  My metal skills are somewhat limited by the tools I have, namely just a welder, and some cutting tools.  I would love to try out the metal shaping tools at some point.

Thanks again,  Jordan

Posted: October 04, 2011 01:22 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank

There are some cool metalworking sites on the net- if you don’t have access to an English Wheel try hand hammering a disc in a hollowed out tree stump- it is amazing the sounds you get- but as I say- I need to look into better quality metals- most stuff I’ve done is mild steel or junk!! (and not too pretty!) Keep up your interest in the work you’re doing- too many times I get too busy and lose sight of this ‘FUN STUFF’- you have inspired me to try some ideas again! Thanks-g

Posted: January 19, 2012 12:43 PM

jordan.hill

• Newbie Rank

So it took longer than I wanted, but I finally have a video of my car part drum set.  The video shows the wide variety of sounds that the set has.  I hope you all enjoy it.  Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Snibm0mUVQ

Posted: January 19, 2012 02:46 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank

Sounds GREAT! The creativity and experimentation is awesome- thanks for posting! Now don’t get your finger caught in the ‘flyhat’!!

Posted: January 19, 2012 10:45 PM

jordan.hill

• Newbie Rank
gbond - 19 January 2012 02:46 PM

Sounds GREAT! The creativity and experimentation is awesome- thanks for posting! Now don’t get your finger caught in the ‘flyhat’!!

Thanks gbond!  I am going to have to steal ‘flyhat’ from you if you don’t mind.  That is really good.

Posted: January 20, 2012 06:38 AM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank

No problem Jordan! You have a unique set and should name various parts as to my knowledge no one has done some of them before- like the crankshafts being used almost like xylophone….the tanktoms…. hmmmm- have fun- it looks like a blast!!!

Posted: April 25, 2012 09:07 PM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

Jordan that is some creative flair you have.It will be interesting to hear how this sounds Kudos to you

Posted: April 25, 2012 09:11 PM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

Listened to the video Kick ass mate!!! Kudos to you.loved what the hihats are made from

Posted: January 11, 2013 07:40 PM

4OnTheFloor

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1
PDP drummer - 25 April 2012 09:11 PM

Listened to the video Kick ass mate!!! Kudos to you.loved what the hihats are made from

Nicely done! Flyhat!

Signature 

Be Yourself! Everyone else is taken.

Posted: February 11, 2013 04:29 PM

JDragon

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 23

Any more additions Jordan? The vid was great but haven’t seen any more-??!!..... I know - EVERYBODY is busy!!!!!!!! Keep with it- and get some GOOD recordings- IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!...Throw in banging some small trunks (Volkswagen, Cavalier)... ...or how ‘bout chrome trim suspended???? Keep it up!!!!!- g