My New Kit

Posted: September 27, 2011 08:59 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Ever since I started playing in an Eric Clapton tribute band, I’ve felt that my little old blues kit was just too ... little and old. So I just ordered a set of Pearl Reference Pure drums in a red sparkle lacquer finish. Here are the sizes I ordered:

20” x 18” bass drum (with internal tom mount)

12” x 9” mounted tom

14” x 14” floor tom

15” x 15” floor tom

14” x 4.5” snare drum

Pretty simple, kinda retro, huh? But I think it will be cool.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 28, 2011 05:48 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank

Seems like the floors are close in size, only an inch apart in each direction.  Did you get a chance to play a kit sized like this before you ordered?

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: September 28, 2011 11:38 AM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank

Hi Bigbeat,

I owned a set of acrylic Pork Pie Pig Lite drums that had 14” and 15” floor toms, which I just loved (and wish I still owned, to be honest), as well as a maple Pork Pie kit with 15” and 16” floors. I was able to tune the floor toms in both cases so that there was plenty of tonal spread between the two floors. Think of it like 12” and 13” mounted toms, which is a pretty common configuration. It’s not as if the there’s a huge gap between the pitches, but just enough to make a difference.

Why do I use 15” floor at all? I find that I can get everything I need from them — a deep tone and definite pitch — plus they squeeze into my kit a bit more tightly, which becomes even more important when you get old ... or let’s say older ... like me.

I’m actually not a big fan of 16” floor toms, to be honest. I’ve owned plenty of them and know they’re a standard size, but they all too often sound kind of flabby (or is it flappy?), at least in my opinion. In fact, while corresponding with Pearl product manager Gene Okamoto, he told me that he uses a 15” floor on his “big” kit. And he actually knows a thing or two about drums.

Now go out there and play some drums!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: April 25, 2012 05:24 PM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

without a picture I couldn`t tell but by the sizes it would probably be a good kit