Ginger Baker

Posted: October 04, 2011 12:16 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

The other evening I spent an hour or so checking out old Ginger Baker videos on YouTube and it reinforced my opinion that he is one of the most unique drummers I have ever seen. Not necessarily the fastest or most complex player, but his approach is unlike any other drummer’s style, in my opinion, which just may just the hardest thing for any creative artist to achieve.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 04, 2011 01:13 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

‘TOAD’ has always been a favorite solo of mine and the interview where he is asked to demonstrate the ‘communication between hands and feet’ and he responds: “This early in the morning?” in his English accent…..and Clapton laughs-  just slays me…. Great performer and having so many personal obstacles yet STILL being able to continue… wow…. Yep- he’s classic!!!

Posted: October 04, 2011 01:45 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

I saw that interview during my Ginger Baker YouTube surfing excursion. That exchange was hilarious, although he actually did show off some pretty cool riffs based on the rudiments. The only problem was that the interviewer clearly wasn’t a drummer, and asked a few overly simplistic questions. Amazing that Baker tolerated him, since he is well known for giving journalists a hard time (as he did during an interview I conducted with him back in the ’80s, the details of which will remain under wraps ... at least for now!).

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 04, 2011 07:08 PM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

Hi all! Yes, Ginger Baker IS 1 of the most talented & innovative drummers ever. Speaking of footage of him, Hudson Misic’s “Classis Rock Drum Solos” DVD from 2008 has some great footage of him soloing & a rare interview that was done during ‘Cream’s heyday. The “Royal Albert Hall” DVD is an excellent concert disc w/ some really great drum-cam shots of Ginger. YouTube has many of the clips from that disc, as well!
Be well,
Brian Jezuit