No Cases 1
Total Votes: 7
You must be a logged-in member to vote

Soft Or Hard Cases?

Posted: October 05, 2011 09:25 AM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 108

Which do you prefer — soft cases or hard cases? (I use soft cases because they’re easier to load into my car).

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 05, 2011 09:30 AM

David Pak

• Total Posts: 165

don’t you have a team of roadies to load your gear?

Posted: October 05, 2011 09:33 AM

rosegate

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 36

I’ve got a hard case that a friend donated which is great for hardware. Otherwise it’s ratty cymbal bags and soft cases. I’m thinking of getting some Armor cases I saw online. I’m intrigued by the rolling case.

Posted: October 05, 2011 09:36 AM

David Pak

• Total Posts: 165
rosegate - 05 October 2011 09:33 AM

I’ve got a hard case that a friend donated which is great for hardware. Otherwise it’s ratty cymbal bags and soft cases. I’m thinking of getting some Armor cases I saw online. I’m intrigued by the rolling case.

@rosegate - cast your vote [see top of thread]. If you don’t vote they win. Who are they? I don’t know but we can’t let them win.

Posted: October 05, 2011 09:47 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

I started out using soft cases from what I believe to be a rather ‘no-name’ brand called “Pro-Tech”. Although ‘kinda cheap in price (& you get what you pay for), I loved them & they did a good job of protecting my drums. I then switched to hard cases from “Protechtor” when I bought my Sonors in 2002. They did an OUTSTANDING job of protecting, but were heavy, cumbersome, & an 8-piece set (w/ cymbal case & 2 hardware cases) really didn’t fit in a Honda Accord! Now, I use soft cases again by “Protection Racket” & they’re great-lightweight, no excess baggage, but very protective & trustworthy!
Be well., Brian Jezuit

Posted: October 05, 2011 10:40 AM

drumnate

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

I think it all depends where you’re taking your gear.  For a single show in town and if you do these often, soft cases are easier to deal with, take up less space, and are lighter.  If you’re on tour and sharing van space with amps and such, hard cases all the way.  Especially on those nights when you are too tired to be careful, if you have padded hard cases, then tossing your gear a bit won’t hurt it.

Posted: October 05, 2011 01:04 PM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107
drumnate - 05 October 2011 10:40 AM

I think it all depends where you’re taking your gear. For a single show in town and if you do these often, soft cases are easier to deal with, take up less space, and are lighter. If you’re on tour and sharing van space with amps and such, hard cases all the way. Especially on those nights when you are too tired to be careful, if you have padded hard cases, then tossing your gear a bit won’t hurt it.

I agree.
Humping my own gear around town, soft cases are easier. The one exception is cymbals. I’ve always used a hard case. I have been reconsidering hardware too, but have been too cheep to invest in a quality hard case with wheels.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 05, 2011 01:30 PM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Great point, bigbeat! For cymbals I have always used a Sabian Hard Case. I’ve used soft cases on cymbals before, & although none were ever damaged I never felt that they were totally covered. Likewise for all of my hardware (double pedal the only exception). When I switched to soft cases again, I kept the “Protechtor” hardware cases w/ wheels. My double pedal has it’s own hard case by DW.

Posted: October 06, 2011 05:40 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

I do have a flight case for my double pedal.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 07, 2011 12:56 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

soft: cheaper, lighter, easier to store when not needed.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun