Neil Peart’s Taking Center Stage 3-DVD Set…It’s Been Released EARLY!!!

Posted: October 26, 2011 08:57 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

For all of you who have been awaiting the new Neil DVD Set w/ biting fingernails (like me), it’s been released by Hudson Music 3 weeks earlier than it’s original release date!
Originally slated for release on November 8th (to co-incide w/ the Rush Time Machine-Live In Cleveland DVD), Hudson Music has let the long-awaited ‘Taking Center Stage-A Lifetime Of Performance’ loose on us 3 weeks in advance! It came out on Tuesday, October 18th!
As a DIE-HARD Neil Peart Drum Disciple (he IS the sole reason that I picked up a pair of sticks 20 years ago), I’ve just recieved my copy. The UPS guy probably thought that I was insane when I tore open the package in front of him & then did some utterly insane dance or something (I cannot even remember)! Although I havn’t put a disc in yet, just holding it brings me great drumming bliss!!!
My review will follow w/in 3 days!
Be well,
Brian Jezuit

Posted: November 07, 2011 10:43 PM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

OK, it’s been more (a lot more) than 3 days. However, trying to juggle a life AND the 7 hours & 37 minutes of this 3 DVD Set wasn’t easy, but the most fun that I’ve had in awhile! I wanted to go into an in-depth review of this set, “Neil Peart : Taking Center Stage ; A Lifetime Of Live Performance”, but decided to keep it short, sweet, & most importantly, TO THE POINT!
Beautifully packaged, the Set is truly what Hudson’s Ad states…“The most in-depth insight into Neil’s body of work ever documented.” All of the ‘Time Machine Tour’ of ‘10-‘11 set list is examined here. Joe Bergamini (Hudson’s Editior & author of some great Drum Books) 1st interviews Neil re: each song @ Death Valley Park in CA! A truly beautiful backdrop for the DVD! After, Neil demonstrates segments of each song on his “Time Machine” DW Collector’s Maple SSC Kit. The segmants are slowed down (slo-mo) for analyzation! Then the drummer/viewer is treated to the song onstage @ the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (Saratoga Springs, NY)! The concert footage is from the drum-cams only, w/ an exclusive audio custom mix that features the drums slightly louder than the ordinary Rush Concert DVD audio mix! The complete set list for the ‘T.M.’ Tour is covered here, inc. the entire ‘Moving Pictures’ album. Seeing ‘The Camera Eye’ live for the 1st time sent chills up & down my arms!
Bonus features inc. an in-depth study of the song “Bravado”, back-stage warm-up footage & interview, “The Spirit Of Radio” played w/out the backing music (1 of MY personal faves of the x-tras), soundcheck footage, an interview w/ “Gump” Wheaton (Neil’s Drum-Tech), an interview w/ DW’s Master Painter Louie, & much, much more!
I own all 4 of Neil’s Drum Instructional/Educational DVDs (1996 A Work In Progress, 2005 Anatomy Of A Drum Solo, 2010 Fire On Ice-The Making Of The Hockey Theme, & this new Set) & this is BY FAR the most comprehensive coverage of Neil’s work w/ Rush over the last 37 & 1/2 years!!! This DVD Set is a MUST-HAVE if you’re a drummer that calls yourself a Rush or Neil Peart fan! & @ the price of $39.99 (MSRP)—I purchased it on Amazon.com for $34.95—it’s affordable to ANYONE!!!
Thanks & be well to all!