Cymbal Polish

Posted: July 27, 2010 08:57 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

I need to clean my cymbals (really badly, actually) and wondered if anybody out there can recommend a cymbal polish.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 27, 2010 10:24 AM

Drumolator

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 21

Groove Juice.

Signature 

Mark Wellman ><>

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Posted: July 29, 2010 05:43 AM

harrymabrams

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

I have read in your magazine and others the debate over cleaning and not cleaning your cymbals. Is there really an advantage to either way?

Posted: July 29, 2010 09:59 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

I think it depends entirely on how you like your cymbals to look and sound. I tend to let mine go a bit too long, until their luster is dull and splotchy and the sound is dry and pingy. Polishing them definitely livens up the tone and refreshes the finish. But some drummers — Neil Peart comes to mind — don’t like playing cymbals until they have aged a bit. It’s hard to argue with his cymbal sound.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: July 29, 2010 02:39 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I like to keep mine polished. I like that extra bit of clarity and brightness it gives the cymbals. I use Zildjian cymbal cleaner. After I polish each cymbal I use Glass Plus and paper towels to remove any polish residue left over.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 30, 2010 09:37 AM

Rev.D.

bashboomcrash - 30 July 2010 06:40 AM

I have read that early jazz drummer used to bury their cymbals in the garden soil to age them.
I have never done this, but the thought does intrigue me…

I have heard such things as well.  My singer gave me a 22” Zildjian ride with rivets that is about 30-40 years old. It the filthiest dirtiest, most grimy cymbal that I have ever seen. But is sounds great!  surprised

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 30, 2010 11:39 AM

Rev.D.

bashboomcrash - 30 July 2010 06:40 AM

I am going to try this with an LP cowbell I got at a yard sale. I am going to scuff it up with some brillo/sandpaper/whatever and stick it in the ground for a while, see what happens with that. I feel it will mellow it nicely, better than duct tape, and give it a nice vintage look too.

That is a cool idea! Btw, I don’t use that 22” cymbal live, I use it at rehearsals. We are always jamming blues and jazz riffs between breaks and it fits perfectly,. It also has great crash ability.

Signature 

Posted: October 02, 2010 01:10 AM

Dan Cunningham

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 15
Drumolator - 27 July 2010 10:24 AM

Groove Juice.

Does Groove Juice get out very heavy stick marks?

Posted: October 02, 2010 09:03 AM

Warren Wright

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 31

I love being the guy who creates “controversy”...so here is my controversial method of cymbal cleaning;

First off, I fill a one gallon container with Dawn dishwashing soap and warm water.  Secondly, I grab my scrubbing “sponges” with the Non-Metallic scratch pad on one side and foam on the other side.  Then I get my Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner.  Take them Outside~.
Then I grab up my cymbals that Im going to clean and take them Outside.
Outside, where I do all this is right next to my outside faucet and i have a very short piece of garden hose - 18” long that I screw onto the faucet.  I rinse off the cymbal Im going to clean, then put some Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner on the scratch pad side of my “Sponge”—Note that is “NON-METALLIC” so it doesnt remove any metal from the cymbal…and I proceed to scrub the entire cymbal, top side first and when Ive covered every inch of the cymbal, I immediately rinse off the Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner and then Wash it off with the Other Sponge…that one is just a foam type sponge.  And I wash it thoroughly, then rinse it again really good.  Then I do the back side of the cymbal…with Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner, then rinse with water, then wash it with soap and water, then rinse it again and then, I towel dry both sides of the cymbal.  With a really dirty cymbal, it takes maybe 20 minutes to do both sides.
Once thats done, I take Collinite Insulator Wax and apply a thin coating on both sides of the cymbal and once it turns milky white, I wipe the wax off with a very soft towel. 
NOTE:  If you have the Logo’s on your cymbal and you want them to stay on ...lightly wipe the Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner over them with the soft foam side of the sponge and then immediately rinse, wash and rinse again.  Then go back and finish the rest of the cymbal.

The last time I did this was 3 months ago and right now, my cymbals look as clean as they did the day I first cleaned them.
The Lysol cleaner will remove the tarnish, dirt, grime, green funk, magic marker ink, tape glue, lipstick, chewing gum and most anything else you might find on it.  Immediately rinsing it, washing with warm soapy water and then rinsing again and then applying that Collinite Insulator Wax will keep dust, dirt, cigarette smoke tar and nicotine and dance floor wax from sticking to the cymbal.
Lots of polishes and waxes with shine them, but Ive never found another wax that prevents dust and cigarette smoke tar and nicotine and dance floor wax from sticking.  Power companies ( the ones who produce electricity) use the Collinite Insulator Wax on the Glass Insulators and on the high tension electric wires that are attached to the Glass Insulators to prevent dust, dirt, bird droppings, acid rain and any other contaminate from sticking to either wire or insulator.

Dance Floor Wax will stick to anything on the bandstand…except my drum kit and cymbals and stands, because Ive waxed them all.

Signature 

I am a Drummer…its not only what I do…its also an integral part of who I am