Metronomes.

Posted: November 12, 2011 08:14 PM

Brett V

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

I’m doing some shopping to upgrade from my old DB-60 and would love all the feedback you’ve got!

-What met do you use and why?

-If it’s got all those bells and whistles (training programs and such), do you use them/have you found them beneficial?

-Pros and Cons: How’s the battery life? Durability? Can it program and store tempos? Is it good for practice AND gigs?

Thanks for your input!

I’ve been considering the Tama Rhythm Watch, but the Simmons that just came out has got my attention now too.
Would love anything you can offer at all smile

Posted: November 14, 2011 06:58 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Tempo app on my ipod

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: November 14, 2011 09:48 PM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Metronomes, for me, were-until the last 2 years-not a tool that I used often. My teacher had me use metronomes in the 1st few years of my drumming. After about 6 years, we both noticed that my natural sense of time was accurate enough to begin playing w/out the use of a metronome. From then on, even when playing out, I didn’t use any metronome or time-keeping devise @ all. Thankfully, I was able to stay in time & even now, looking back @ old DVDs & videos of shows past, I hear & see myself staying in time mvery well. @ years ago, I bought a Roland V-Drums TD-4SX to fufill my wish of having an electronic kit along w/ my acoustic kit. That particular kit was perfect for me, as I didn’t wish to spend a huge amt. of $ on a e-kit, but still wanted a make & model that would be worthwhile & give me a good e-kit experience. This kit comes w/ a Practice Coach. Included is a metronome that can be set @ any bpm, & can even change bpm’s after every 4 measures to keep your timing precise! Ever since I bought this kit, I’ve been practicing w/ the metronome & Practice Coach Mode’s Warm Ups, Time Checks, & Tempo Checks! So I do suggest that, no matter how long you’ve been playing, or how good your natural timing is, practice w/ a metronome-even if it’s only once in a while (like myself).

Posted: November 15, 2011 07:21 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Actually ran the click through someone else’s DB-90 last night. Took me a little bit to remember how to set up the tempo for the set list, but was OK after that- until I found out the singer changed the set list!

The band was thrown together & only had an hour to run though stuff before we played. We had spent 1/2 the warm up time without the click, and the band was all over the place. I was glad to be running it after that.

DB-90 is a good machine with some nice features. I can’t justify the cost, when apps for IPods, IPhones & IPads are so cheap.

Signature 

loud is my forte