2 of 2

Tom Mount Debate

Posted: August 23, 2010 10:06 PM

DrumsRock

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 46
Dreeddrums - 23 August 2010 01:38 PM

im a lefty that plays open armed on a righty set it really allows me to make fine tune ajustments i could never make with bass mounted toms, or even a rack

Im also a lefty that plays open handed.  How do you do ur ride?  I ride with my right hand now, it took me a few months or so do do a simple beat like that, but now Im pretty fluent righty and lefty.  I just could not deal with having my main crash on the right side of the kit, or putting my ride in the middle of my toms, just too shaky and bobby, and, i’d also have to cross my arms a little, cuz it would interfere with my 17” crach if I moved it overto the left too much.  I’ve pretty much adapted to playing righty (except of the open hands on the hats), because when ever i have a gig at my school, the setup is always righty, and I dont have time to set it up lefty cuz there are other bands that have to play before and after me.

Posted: August 25, 2010 09:24 AM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165
bashboomcrash - 25 August 2010 09:20 AM
guarilio989 - 19 August 2010 05:55 AM
bashboomcrash - 16 August 2010 12:22 PM

I guess I’ll just let my butler and my roadie figure it out LOL…

your singer and your bass player? lol

LOL, when’s the last time you saw a singer carry anything?

I’ve heard some that couldn’t even carry a tune. Thank you. I’m here all week. Try the veil and remember to tip your waitress.

Posted: August 25, 2010 11:13 AM

Dreeddrums

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 39
DrumsRock - 23 August 2010 10:06 PM
Dreeddrums - 23 August 2010 01:38 PM

im a lefty that plays open armed on a righty set it really allows me to make fine tune ajustments i could never make with bass mounted toms, or even a rack

Im also a lefty that plays open handed.  How do you do ur ride?  I ride with my right hand now, it took me a few months or so do do a simple beat like that, but now Im pretty fluent righty and lefty.  I just could not deal with having my main crash on the right side of the kit, or putting my ride in the middle of my toms, just too shaky and bobby, and, i’d also have to cross my arms a little, cuz it would interfere with my 17” crach if I moved it overto the left too much.  I’ve pretty much adapted to playing righty (except of the open hands on the hats), because when ever i have a gig at my school, the setup is always righty, and I dont have time to set it up lefty cuz there are other bands that have to play before and after me.

Yea i play my ride with my right and my hihats and main crash with my left too, iv also got all my exilery things like my splashs and cowbell on my left. it was the same way for me in school and when i was taking lessons, teachers just didnt have the time to change a set for a lefty so thats just how i learned and have always done it but i do like to mess around and switch things up so i try to play righty sometimes, i also keep one of my floor toms on my left beside my hihat (a little Nat Townsly feel)  that way i can ride on it, and when your doin a fill crossing your hands to hit both the floor toms looks too cool.

Signature 

I consider every drummer that’s Played before me an influence, in every way- buddie rich

Posted: August 26, 2010 05:31 AM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171
bashboomcrash - 19 August 2010 06:45 AM

Never used a buttkicker, but the idea seems pretty good. How do they work? Do they just run off the bass head’s direct out?

In theory they work ok. In practice they’re almost more trouble than they’re worth. ya they run off the DO but you gotta be careful about how you set the levels cuz you could easily find your self sliding around your throne if the cushion is kinda hard. It’s kinda like sitting on your friends really crappy 15” subs in the back of his little metro. Just more friendly in the rear end than a speaker cone.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: August 26, 2010 05:35 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171
David Pak - 25 August 2010 09:24 AM
bashboomcrash - 25 August 2010 09:20 AM
guarilio989 - 19 August 2010 05:55 AM
bashboomcrash - 16 August 2010 12:22 PM

I guess I’ll just let my butler and my roadie figure it out LOL…

your singer and your bass player? lol

LOL, when’s the last time you saw a singer carry anything?

I’ve heard some that couldn’t even carry a tune. Thank you. I’m here all week. Try the veil and remember to tip your waitress.

Actually my singer used to play drums too but that was before someone told him he has no rhythm…I still feel guilty about shattering his dreams, but he still helps me carry and set up my gear. My bass player just cries and moans about carrying the water all the time. We all tell him he has to pull his weight somehow. Just a base and a combo amp doesn’t constitute and equal load.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: September 17, 2010 06:30 AM

Vindrums

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 11

I recently ordered a new set of Ludwig Classic Maples and must have gone back and forth in my mind hundreds of times about the tom mounts.  After painful hours of deliberation I finally settled on mounting the toms on the Bass drum.  I understand the physics behind “virgin” bass drums but personally havn’t noticed ENOUGH of a sonic difference to warrant a change. 
For me, the concern was more with tom placement then sonic degredation.  I just feel more comfortable with my toms mounted on the Bass.  I feel that this allows me more freedom with cymbal placement then rack systems or cymbal stand mounted toms and let’s face it if you aren’t comfortable behind the kit you will not play up to your full potential, therefore negating the SLIGHTLY more resonant bass drum.

Posted: September 17, 2010 09:42 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

I’m with you 100 percent.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

2 of 2