Scott Travis : Metal’s Most Underrated Superstar Drummer !

Posted: December 29, 2011 08:30 AM

drum1966

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

It seems like all drum magazines seem to ignore Scott Travis of Judas Priest. How many metal drummers have attempted the double bass intro to PAINKILLER when they practice at home ? Scott’s work with Judas Priest, Racer X and FIGHT raised the bar for creative metal drumming and although he doesn’t try to break any BPM records, his playing is always powerful and innovative.

Posted: December 29, 2011 02:12 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 108

I agree, Scott Travis is an awesome drummer, but the truth is, we’ve tried to set up interviews with him in the past and, without going into details, just hit brick walls. We even had trouble getting him to respond to interview requests at all. So his absence from drum mags isn’t for our lack of trying. It’s possible that he’s just not that interested in doing interviews — it’s hard to say. I’m sure we’ll try again, though. Keep your fingers crossed.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: January 02, 2012 10:43 AM

drumbri24

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

I also consider Scott Travis to be a Metal pioneer! His work w/ Judas Priest & Racer X are MORE than noteworthy! It is a shame that he isn’t published in the drumming periodicals more often, but as Andy aforementioned, it isn’t for a lack of trying! The other day I thumbed through my collection of 12 years worth of “DRUM!” back issues & found a feature article on Travis. It’s in the June/July 2004 issue! His feature is part of an OzzFest Drummers over-all feature that also includes Mike Bordin & Dave Lombardo. It’s a great interview w/ Travis complete w/ a drum diagram of his Tama/Paiste kit! Check it out if you can!
Andy, I loved the Feb 2012 issue. All of the cymbal info I have in various drumming periodicals & catalogs, but if I were to gather the ones that have the info all together, I’d have over a dozen magazines & catalogs! To have all of the information regarding cymbals culled into ONE spectacular issue is absolutley amazing! Thank you for that! & the pull-out poster of all of the “DRUM!” covers from the 1st issue to the 12/2011 issue was really cool! 20+ years of an amazing publication about drummers, by drummers, & for drummers! What more could we drummers ask for ? I’ve said many, many times that, for me, “DRUM!” isn’t a monthly magazine—it’s a continuing encyclopedic book about drumming/percussion, drummers, & percussionists! This is why it’s so very important to me to keep every issue! I cannot tell you hao many times I’ve needed (or just wanted) to review a past artist feature, a past exercise, & a past product review, so that I could refresh my memory on a certain product before deciding to buy! “DRUM!” is an invaluable TOOL for all of us that are fortunate enough to be in our field!
Be well, & Happy New Year to all! Brian Jezuit