The Bongo Project

Posted: February 07, 2012 01:44 PM

thebongoproject

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

Hello Drummers & Percussionist

My Name is Lerryns Hernández, Drumming is my job, percussion is in my heart and bongo playing is my passion. I live in Caracas, Venezuela and I have been involved with music for about 25 years. I introduce you The Bongo Project.

The whole idea of this project consists in playing with the bongo certain songs that lack any kind of percussion in their original versions. This forces me to play in musicals schemes that are quite strange and new for the bongo. Obviously, I avoided selecting themes that had a Latin sound and really thrived for more adventurous and challenging stuff. Of course, the project’s main trait is that I record myself playing the bongo live, since my initial interest was to promote this idea through Youtube, thus showing the World a unique vision of the bongo and its unlimited possibilities.

Please visit The Bongo Project Channel

All comments are welcome

Peace&Beat;
Lerryns Hernández

Signature 

Lerryns Hernández
Lerryns web site
@thebongoproject
@reggae4drumset

Posted: February 07, 2012 04:52 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 108

Hey Lerryns,

Very nice! I watched only a couple videos so far but wanted to drop you a line of congratulations. I think it’s great that you are putting so much focus on an often overlooked member of the percussion family — the bongo. I really liked how you emulated brushes on “I Just Saw A Face,” and couldn’t help noticing how loud and sharp your slap is. Great chops! Too bad I missed your clinic at PASIC. Keep up the good work.

And to everybody else — it’s worth checking out Lerryns’s YouTube page!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: March 05, 2012 11:31 PM

tasumakan

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

Nice job, Lerryns! Incredible sound and technique.  I really enjoyed “just saw a face” as well - you kept looking over and nodding at the piano player as if he was in the room with you! smile You definitely enhanced those tracks.  Fun stuff.

Signature 

Paddy Cassidy
Tasumakan - djembe and dunun learning system