The New Definition Of A “Shell Pack”

Posted: February 08, 2012 12:03 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Wasn’t it just about a year ago when drum companies defined shell packs as a complete kit without hardware? But at this year’s NAMM Show, it seemed as if every drum company was now defining a shell pack as toms and a bass drum without a snare drum. When I talked to company reps about it last month at NAMM, they uniformly said that “drummers all have their favorite snare drums anyway.” But is it just a way to boost profit without raising prices? Personally, I would rather have a snare drum with a finish that matches the rest of my kit. How about you?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: February 08, 2012 01:05 PM

hifistyle

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

Absolutely! No snare? I’m not surprised, first my box of cereal has been downsized and now this!

Posted: February 08, 2012 01:49 PM

drum565

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Seems like this is just another way to force you to spend more money. Hardware , cymbals , were not enough now they want to think for us. Giving you the impression if you don’t have a snare that you carry from kit to kit there is something wrong with you. I own several snares and one of my favorites is my snare that CAME WITH MY Starclassic kit. Love the punch of this drum but had it not came with the set I would have looked else where for a snare. Sell us one with the kit let us make up our own minds ..

Posted: February 08, 2012 02:18 PM

Paintpro

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

I’d rather have a natural finished snaredrum then a matching snaredrum.
But I do think it’s to boost the prices.

Posted: February 08, 2012 02:21 PM

Andy Doerschuk

@drum565 You make a really good point. The best way to get a snare drum to sonically match the rest of your kit is for it to be made of the same materials and using the same manufacturing techniques as the rest of your kit, which is why you like the way your Starclassic snare sounds within the context of that kit.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: February 09, 2012 09:18 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank

I’ve never owned a snare that matched my kits.  All my snares are metal, but then again so is my Trick kit.
I have no problem with drum companies offering the snare as an add-on to the kit.

That said if a shell pack last year included the snare & this year it doesn’t, then the price should have come down.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: March 22, 2012 04:28 AM

OneLittleIndian

• Newbie Rank

Agree with bigbeat on that; apart from my first-ever Mapex snare drum, none of my snares are “matched”. Snare drums ARE personal, really.

Posted: March 22, 2012 04:52 AM

hifistyle

• Newbie Rank

As a former business owner and long timer retailer, I’m of the opinion it’s a way to cope with rising costs.
Saying that drummers have their own favorites anyway is a convenient excuse. Though, it’s likely we’d be seeing
a price jump if manufacturers didn’t have this “out”.

Posted: March 22, 2012 08:28 AM

Andy Doerschuk

I just bought a Red Sparkle Pearl Reference Series 5-piece with a matching snare drum. To be honest, I’ve played nickel-over-brass snare drums for so long that it took a few gigs to get used to the relative warmth of the snare drum. But I’m now totally comfortable with it and love the way the matching drum finishes look on stage.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk