Drum Moduels

Posted: February 15, 2012 12:34 PM

tzimring

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

I am trying to build my own electronic kit, what is a goo module to buy just for simple drum sounds?

Posted: February 15, 2012 12:38 PM

Phil Hood

• Administrator RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

You should check out modules at a drumshop if you can to really hear the sounds in action.
Alesis makes perhaps the most popular module, the DM-5 and that basic module has been used by other companies as well
What do the rest of you think?

Posted: February 15, 2012 12:43 PM

tzimring

• Newbie Rank

Would it work with homemade or other drum pads? Or just the brand name?

Posted: February 18, 2012 11:31 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

Hello! I think that buildong your own e-kit is a very prestigious endeavour! Personally, I chose to buy a Roland V-Drum for my e-lit. But if you have the money availability, time, & most importantly-passion, then by all means, do it! You’ll have the electronic kit of your dreams-oin the literal sense! If I were to have gone this way (& I can only speak for myself), I’d have bought the Hart Dynamics drum pads & Zildjians new Gen16 Acoustic/Electric Cymbals. Hart Dynamics is best known for it endorsmants w/ Tommy Lee & ‘Yes’ drummer Alal White. I have personally played on them (hooked up to a Roland TD-20 Module), & they sounded awesome. The e-cymbals that I tried w/ that kit were also Hart’s models, which are made of brass. They were amazing! Now, however, if I were building my own kit, I’d use the new Gen16 Zildjians. I have yet to actually put a pair of sticks to them, but the models that they offer are much closer to actual acoustic cymbals (hence the “Acoustic/Electronic” label).
As far as a Module, I’m a die-hard Roland man. I own the TD-4SX & love the module. I’ve also played on all of the others from the compact HD-1 to the TD-20, & they are the best in my comparisons w/ Alesis, Yamaha’s DTX’s, & Pearl’s e-Pro RedBox. Those are the others that I’ve personally had ample time to ‘test-drive’.
Good luck to you & feel free to ask any other questions. That’s why we’re here! Thanks.
Brian Jezuit

Posted: February 24, 2012 02:55 PM

tzimring

• Newbie Rank

How can you use a laptop as a module? What cables and software do you need?

Posted: February 26, 2012 12:14 AM

rosegate

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 36

Virtual Drum

Virtual Drum is software designed just for this.

People use drum kits like the Alesis (DM-8, DM-10) with trigger to midi modules. Or software such as Kontakt with samples stored on a laptop.

Does anyone have direct experience in setting up their own rig?