Band website, how to do it on the cheap?

Posted: March 08, 2012 09:13 AM

flybyfender

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

Hey guys!

First, sorry if it’s the wrong section…

I would like to know if any of you had any past experience about creating & having a band website?

I am not a programmer and I do not want to learn how to code HTML just to create that one website.

Here are the things that we want:
- Our own .com domain
- Servers included, with unlimited transfer
- Unlimited content/songs
- Music player on the website
- Fans can contact us directly on the website

It would be nice if it had Facebook & Twitter integration too.

How much should I be looking to spend for a custom website from a professional webmaster (including the requested features above)? Many people told us between 1,500$ and 3,000$ is the average pricing nowadays, is that true!!!? Do you guys have any suggestions? Is Myspace still good?

Thanks,
F.B.F

Posted: March 08, 2012 10:23 AM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165

Moved to “The Business of Drumming”

Posted: March 08, 2012 10:40 AM

David Pak

Some quick thoughts:

Your own .com domain - Do a search at a registrar and purchased the domain yourself. The reason for doing this is so that you have direct ownership of the domain vs. any potential he said she said on ownership if you have someone else purchase it for you. Some options

Servers - If you’re starting out you’ll probably be okay with what is called a shared server [vs a dedicated or virtual server]. Basically this means you share space with other websites. Sort of like an apartment vs buying/renting a house.

Unlimited transfer - read the fine print. Some services will throttle your site if there is a large amount of traffic for either your site or your “neighbors” site.

Posted: March 08, 2012 02:38 PM

flybyfender

• Newbie Rank

Sorry about the wrong section…

Thanks David for the reply.

I made some research and ended up on Bandmo (http://bandmo.com) a website generator designed especially for music artists & bands. It’s pretty cheap considering that it includes hosting + domain + everything else. I think it might just be more simple to deal with them instead of ordering every element I need from different companies. About the domain, they say that if you cancel with them, they’ll have it transfer to your name for free… seems legit!

The reviews I found are looking pretty good, I am going to try it now and let you know what happens… smile

Thanks!

PS. If you guys have more suggestions, please reply to this thread!!!!

Posted: March 08, 2012 09:32 PM

rosegate

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 37

Agreed with above.. I would first of all make a great Facebook page. Then I’d look at the hosting companies set up for bands, like Bandzoogle. Just google “web sites for bands,” and start trying them. Email the webmasters if you have questions.

I would also pay attention to other services your band could use free online, like Sonicbids.com for press kits or sites that will just host your music like Audiogalaxy.

Indie Guide has this great guide to all the music hosting sites for bands.

Posted: March 09, 2012 12:12 AM

David Pak

Did a little nerding-around on the example site.

Looks like most of the sites use the same/similar template.

The sites are hosted at least in part on Amazon’s servers.

The media player is donation-ware widget from JPlayer.

Posted: March 13, 2012 11:03 PM

NickMason

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 36
rosegate - 08 March 2012 09:32 PM

Agreed with above.. I would first of all make a great Facebook page. Then I’d look at the hosting companies set up for bands, like Bandzoogle. Just google “web sites for bands,” and start trying them. Email the webmasters if you have questions.

Facebook page is essential, but Reverbnation has been BOOMING as the new place for bands and music.
Honestly you need as many outlets online as you can get.

.com / facebook / twitter / myspace / reverbnation / YouTube

Do ALL of them!
Best part of rebernation is you can link it to ALL those other sites, so when you need to update them you can just update reverbnation and it will post on ALL your other social media sites.

for a Dot Com Bandzoogle seems to be really easy to use. My girlfriend set hers up with them and she has no problem designing and updating her site with no html experience

Signature 

~Nick
nickmason.org

Posted: March 23, 2012 10:05 AM

flybyfender

• Newbie Rank

UPDATE!

I did it! Here’s my new band website:
http://sunholesmusic.com/

What do you guys think? I like it!!! smile

I chose to do it with http://Bandmo.com - It’s 100 % worth the price IMO. Took me about 1 hour to do everything.