they ain’t interesetd in your progress, they only want your money

Posted: March 12, 2012 04:25 AM

nigelfrazer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

Beware of internet drum tuition promising unrealistic progress, in the last 2 years I have subscribed to more than one very high profile web tuition system spending several hundred dollars in the process, only to find them very sub-par and even dangerously demoralising in a sense that I thought there was something wrong with me anatomically coz I just couldn’t progress at their stated rates.

I’ve hung in there and 2 years down the track I’m now seeing small signs of improvement in my moeller technique, basic rudiments, weak hand, footwork and timing. I practise every day and if it wasn’t for the fact that the drums stir me up emotionally I would have given up after the first 12 months because I just could not make anything like the progress some of these web based bullshit artists promised, at one stage I got quite depressed about it thinking maybe I had just left it too late, I’m 50yrs old.

I love the drums and was always drawn to them as a kid and can play basic rock grooves having played as a self taught drummer in a rock band when I was 15 but to do it properly is very different. I’m a helicopter pilot/instructor by day and i can tell you it is easier to learn to fly a helicopter than it is to learn to play the drums correctly so be careful who you give your money to especially if they promise bullshit things like awesome heel-toe technique after just 2 weeks! Quote/Unquote!!

I’m now taking lessons one on one and it’s painfully hard and often mind numbingly boring but now at least I’m seeing some signs of progress so my practise has an element of excitement about again.

Posted: March 12, 2012 06:28 AM

Drumfiend

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

I am in no way an authority but I feel ya pain my friend!
Well kinda anyway. You see I too came to the drums fairly late in comparison too many, I started at 48, I’m 52 now. When I began I sought out instruction from a referred teacher, but I wasn’t making the gains I imagined I was supposed too. So next I was surfing UTUBE checking out lessons and I came across the video of this amazing drummer slaying it. With one foot he would play like he used two and at the end of his video he said for lessons call his drum school. The area code was in my area so I contacted him. I took lessons from him for about one & half yrs., he is now a world renowned inter-net instructor. And he is great but I felt I wasn’t making real gains, the lessons seemed like fast-food drive-thru lessons. So I kept practicing on my own all the material of each of these instructors had taught (what I lacked in skills, I tried to make up for in enthusiasm) and there was some headway. But my real good fortune came when I hooked up with a instructor who’s method of teaching was very much rooted in drum line. We spent the first two months on the snare drum only. He was like a drill Sargent, correcting me each time one stick was higher than the other or the sound wasn’t the same or even. Many people may not need this kind of foundation to learn but I did. Looking back now I realize it helped me to internalize each note value so when I hear it I can recognize it. I am totally grateful for the experience.
If I could offer any type of thought, it would be never stop wanting it and you will get a deep satisfaction of what ever level you attain. It is like most things in life a lifetime process.

Posted: April 06, 2012 02:03 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Nicely said, Fiend-man!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: June 22, 2012 03:19 AM

nigelfrazer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

So very very true!
We are all different, we learn at different rates and respond to different sensory learning experiences for sure, I don’t mind putting in the hard work and I am continuing to practise daily making very slow incremental progress which I’m happy about having come to an understanding of my own about what is an acceptable rate of progress.

My issue is with the unrealistic claims made by some of the web based lesson systems just to get you to fork with your hard earned $$.

I’d rather just be told up front how it really is so at least you know whereabouts on the learning curve you are at any given time. When you’ve just started out and don’t know what rate of progress should be expected it is really demorallising to be left thinking what am I doing wrong? maybe I’m not cut out to be a drummer? In fact I have made friends recently with a local guy I met at a music store and he was on the verge of selling up all his gear for this very reason. Subscribed to a couple of web based systems, making nothing like the progress they promise and here is this poor guy at his wits end with frustration after putting in lots of hours and $$ but not seeing what he thought was going to be a normal rate of progress.

He’s more relaxed about it now as I’ve put him onto someone who’s been helping me and at least he now knows what is realistic and measurable. Interestingly the tutor that is helping me is snare drum and rudiment based just like yours was and it is helping.

Thanks for your reply grin