DW double Pedals Anyone?

Posted: July 30, 2010 12:24 PM

Rev.D.

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 190

I play both heel-toe and heel up. I have been using an Iron Cobra DP for around 6 years now and am wanting to buy a new DP.  I ‘m thinking about a DW. I was wondering if any of you have ever used a DW8000b Power footboard(long board) or the DW 5000ADH Heelless pedal. If so, your feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: July 30, 2010 12:26 PM

Rev.D.

Also, has DRUM! ever reviewed these pedals?

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: August 17, 2010 02:12 PM

DrummingDeclan

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

I’m not sure but I really like the original Iron Cobra pedal from Tama it’s really durable and comes with a case smile I’ve noticed also how much faster it was than my older pedals, I would say this pedal is good for any music genre.

Signature 

*When In Doubt, Drum*

Posted: August 17, 2010 02:32 PM

Rev.D.

The I.C.‘s I have are the original silver ones from before the black ones. I think they are from the early 90’s. I take really great care of my equipment.

Signature 

Posted: August 17, 2010 02:48 PM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165
Rev.D. - 17 August 2010 02:32 PM

The I.C.‘s I have are the original silver ones from before the black ones. I think they are from the early 90’s. I take really great care of my equipment.

You know what would be nice? Pics wink

Posted: August 17, 2010 03:31 PM

Rev.D.

David Pak - 17 August 2010 02:48 PM
Rev.D. - 17 August 2010 02:32 PM

You know what would be nice? Pics wink

I will try to get some up over the weekend.

Signature 

Posted: August 19, 2010 05:27 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

as far as DW pedals go, I’ve never been much for them. The 9000 was the best pedal I’ve ever messed around with from DW but even thats not that amazing. the Iron cobra? same thing. but if your looking for an amazing pedal, they’re both kinda pricey but Axis A’s I swear were designed by God Himself and the Pearl Demon drive runs a close second. I’m more partial to the smooth meat-and-potatoes style of Axis myself but contrary to my usual bias against Pearl, they came up with a decent pedal. Also, if you can find one, the PDP BOA is freaking beast! SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER! the only drawback is, the BOA doesn’t rebound quick enough for me.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: August 19, 2010 05:30 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

o…forgot to mention this too. Since you play heel-toe too, I’d recommend the Axis AL2. long boards, infinite setting possibility, best pedal I’ve ever played.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: August 19, 2010 08:11 PM

Rev.D.

Ive been considering those pedals as well. I just want something smooth that I can get replacement parts for easily, and my local GC doesn’t stock Axis.

Signature 

Posted: August 19, 2010 10:18 PM

clcoleman

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

I currently use DW 5000 and 9000 series pedals.  Both work very well, with the edge definitely going to the 9000.  I have tried out the 8000 long boards, and they were quite impressive.  I have also played using the Axis long board, Trick, and the Pearl.  All great pedals that I enjoyed using.  I would probably give the edge to the Pearl set, but they were the newest of the pedals, the others being well used and set up for their owners playing style.  I have not tried the 5000ADH, but assume it is very similar to the 8000.

I would like to see DW make a heel less 9000!  That would be my dream pedal.

Posted: August 19, 2010 10:33 PM

DrumsRock

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 46

I have used a DW 5000 pedal, and it was great, but the Iron Cobra is pretty much identical, and its also cheaper and its got that handy little toe clip at the end thats great for heel-up application.  as for longboard pedals, Tama doesnt make one, so DW is great

Posted: August 20, 2010 08:09 AM

Rev.D.

I tried out the DW 5000, Pearl DD, and the IC Power Glide DP’s yesterday, and I think that the Pearl Demon drive(although smooth and responsive)is way overpriced. It is also first generation so it has flaws and parts for it are hard to come by. The DW 5000 was very smooth but the slave pedal was not as smooth as the master. It was fast and required less effort than the Tama I.C.‘s. The IC’s felt very heavy and sluggish, even with the spring tension maxed. I do think that by puting DW springs on the IC that it could possibly feel lighter and not feel so heavy. The DW springs were at half tension and had a faster response and felt lighter than the IC’s. The IC’s are about $50 more than the DW 5000. I am looking into the DW 8000, but GC doesn’t stock them so I can’t try them out.

Signature 

Posted: August 20, 2010 08:27 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

I don’t play a double pedal, but wanted to offer my two bits anyway. I have been using an Iron Cobra for years and was interested to read Rev’s comments about it. While he thinks it feels heavy and sluggish I believe it feels solid and responsive. I’ve tried many other pedals and walked away thinking that they feel lightweight and flimsy in comparison. It just goes to show you that each of us is wired differently — and that’s the beauty of drumming. We all have our own styles, techniques, and tastes, which makes our art three-dimensional and rich.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: August 20, 2010 03:41 PM

Rev.D.

Well, I tried out the IC again today and determined that the sluggish feeling it had was probably because it was set up on a Yamaha electric BD pad that was very unstable. Next time I go to GC I will set it up on a regular base brum. That will probably make a HUGE difference in feel!!!

Signature 

Posted: August 20, 2010 03:44 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Hey Rev,

I’d love to hear what you think after you were able to test it on a real bass drum. Have a good weekend!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: August 20, 2010 04:28 PM

Rev.D.

I am excited to try them out again. Also, the Speed Cobra pedals look promising. Don’t know if you have seen them, or if you will review them. I hope GC stocks them soon so I can try them out. Have a great weekend as well Andy!

Signature