Any advice for a drummer starting out

Posted: April 25, 2012 09:01 PM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

What`s some good advice for a drummer who`s just starting out? I have my kit,I`m self taught and learning from drum method books now where to from here.Oh yes! I`m female

Posted: April 26, 2012 01:02 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

Hi PDP drummer! & welcome to what is, @ least for ME, the most amazing journey of excitement, learning, a bit of frustration, self-fufillment, happiness, & rewarding that I’ve ever been on. For the past 21 years (in June), I’ve been doing this & will always continue as long as I’m physically able to.
So you have a kit (I’m guessing a DW/PDP?). I started out like you for my 1st year-self-taught, learning from books & VHS instructional videos (DVDs weren’t even a thought then). I had my kit & was progressing with some success. That was, however, until I found a great teacher & started lessons. Speaking for myself (the only person that I can speak for), that’s when things really started to take off. The books & videos taught me things like the rudiments, but my teacher taught me how to APPLY them in the proper ways! So, the 1st bit of advice that I can give you is to try finding a good teacher in your area. Also, things like instructional/educational DVDs help, as well as books…keep that up. Eventually you will develop influences in drumming, for instance Neil Peart was the primary reason that I picked up a pair of sticks in the 1st place. Then as time progressed, my teacher introduced me to other masters of our craft like Steve Smith, Copeland, Gadd, Bruford, Bozzio, Carey, Portnoy, Hilary Jones, etc. Mabye some of the druummers that you find yourself influenced by will have books &/or DVDs out. If they do, get them if it is @ all possible! Another thing that I found EXTREMELY helpful is starting subscriptions to drumming periodicals like “DRUM!” & others. The excercises, information, interviews, & everything else will expand your knowledge of the drumming world while keeping you updated on what’s happening & new recordings that should be checked out! Also, do NOT confine yourself to 1 genre. Try to listen, listen, listen! Listen to all of the different genres of music that you can get ahold of. All of the different styles of drumming will eventually help you find your own style & ‘home’, so to speak! I thought that I only wanted to play rock & rock-based drumming, but found jazz, Afro-Cuban, Latin, pop, metal, swing, & even some country (thanks, Paul Leim) to be exciting & fufilling to learn & play! I hope that I @ least scratched the surface in answering your question. I could go on & on, but you will find your own path if you decide to stick to the road of the drumming journey! Oh, & as Terry Bozzio once wrote in an instructional book, prepare to be frustrated once in a while…this is normal & to be quite honest, it means that you ARE progressing, you might not see it @ that exact time, but you will if you astick in there! I wish you the best of fortune w/ this endeavor & feel free to post anytime!
Brian Jezuit

Posted: May 03, 2012 09:38 AM

Damani

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

drumbri24 hit the nail on the head with that reply! The only thing I would add is that you should practice to music. I remember growing up in church (which is where I started playing), we learned by watching the main drummer and then playing on sunday nights. People always marvel at how there are so many young church musicians with amazing groove and feel. Well it’s because we play live weekly. I remember we used to beg our parents to allow us to stay for an hour or FIVE after church was over just so we can jam on the instruments and explore our own creativity. Now, I’m aware that everyone may not have a place like that to jam or explore their own creativity but you can always play to your favorite songs on your IPOD or other mp3 player. To take it a step further, the best way (without a band) you will be able to get to actually exploring your own groove, timing, and feel is to play to play tracks that have the drums removed. Playing to your favorite songs with the drums in the track are a cool way to get started but in reality, your still being led by the timing and feel of the drummer on the record. In order to really test how you sound and feel, you need to be able to play to music without a crutch (the drums being in the track). Don’t get me wrong, lessons are great and having a good teacher is priceless, But you don’t want to just learn exercises, rudiments, linear patterns, etc. and not know how to use it (make it feel good) in a real and live musical setting. Drum-less play along tracks provide that. When you play to music, you will be able to test, explore, and be innovated with the amazing things your teacher has taught you! Thats just my 2 cents. I wish you well and continued success!

P.S. There are a few places online that you will be able to find drumles tracks. the other sites I’ve seen only sell them in packs and make you pay a high price for play alongs you may not be ready for or may not suit your goals.
Here are a few URL’s:
damanirhodesplayalongs.com
minusdrums.com
http://www.drumlessons.com/category/drum-lessons/drum-play-alongs/

Posted: July 21, 2012 02:58 PM

SDdrumming

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 5
PDP drummer - 25 April 2012 09:01 PM

What`s some good advice for a drummer who`s just starting out? I have my kit,I`m self taught and learning from drum method books now where to from here.Oh yes! I`m female

I would agree with everyone here. Private lessons will really help everything make sense. The other really important thing to not forget is rudiments. Playing on one surface will really show you where you’re at. Spend just as much time on a practice pad as you do on your kit, and you’ll thank yourself later. I PROMISE!

Keep Drumming!!!

Posted: August 25, 2012 06:32 AM

Elephant Drums

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

For a new drummer just starting out check out Elephant Drums Article on starting a career in drumming.

http://www.elephantdrums.co.uk/blog/guides-and-resources/a-career-in-drumming/

Elephant Drums
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/elephantdrums

Posted: January 19, 2013 08:36 PM

Phil Hood

• Administrator RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32
PDP drummer - 25 April 2012 09:01 PM

Definitely want to add that you should practice to music and to a metronome. You may be a person who likes to study with a teacher or only need a few lessons to get going.
It’s also good to get in a band so you’ve got your “support group” of people with likeminded goals.
You can also find some likeminded female drummers here. Hit Like A Girl Contest