1 of 2

Pics??

Posted: August 03, 2010 08:14 PM

erniek

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 16

What’s the story on pics? aka specific instructions?

Posted: August 03, 2010 08:22 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Good question. Let me ask our webmaster: Hey David, can members post photos on the Forums?

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: August 03, 2010 08:33 PM

erniek

• Newbie Rank

Hmmmm. I was wondering what you were doing awake at this hour answering a forum question and initially thought I had my sunrise direction wrong. (really had to stop and think for a moment.)

edit = oops, sunset.

Posted: August 03, 2010 08:37 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

Hey Ernie,

I check the forum throughout the night. I even bring my Ipad to gigs to check out what’s going on in the forum, and respond between sets.

Thanks for signing up.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: August 03, 2010 09:32 PM

David Pak

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 165
erniek - 03 August 2010 08:14 PM

It’s not currently an available feature for the community… yet.

When turned on you’ll see an option to upload attachments.
Images will show up as thumbnails that can be clicked to view the larger image.

At issue are good Internet citizen practices such as:
- How many files do we allow per post?
- How large a file(s) do we allow per post?

My first thought is to allow uploads of up to 75KB of images which is good for 2 or 3 good size images but I’m open to arguments.

I’ll table this issue during our next web meeting and see what people think.
And of course if the DRUM! community has thoughts we welcome feedback/suggestions.

Posted: August 03, 2010 09:45 PM

David Pak

Oh and if you’re wondering to yourself, “But I know a gazillion other forums allow for photos”, the answer is that you would be correct. What we’re trying to do is help ensure as best we can a positive experience for everyone here. If you were around during the last forums you may remember that it started turing into the wild wild west and we don’t want that to happen again. To be frank the community at large is the key to how many cool things we can implement on the forums and on the website. If you’re on here now it means that you were invited and we’re counting on all of you to really set the tone when it comes to not only helping each other out but also letting us know when you see something that just isn’t welcome. Before I get off my soapbox let me just say that the people on the team such as Andy *really really really* care about the drumming community. We’re chomping at the bit to get new things up and running but for things to really pick up steam we need to feel like the community has taken ownership of the forums and website and tell us/show us, “Hey we got this” so that we can spend our time implementing new things vs. taking care of issues and problem children. Getting off soapbox. Play patriotic closing credit music.

Posted: August 04, 2010 06:16 PM

erniek

• Newbie Rank

Kudos on taking it slow and easy.
I threw out the pics question as pics might liven things up a bit. Understand the potential server overload with regard to pics. Not to mention site clutter. (A pic of your snare is good. Pics taken from each lug angle are a bit much. Yup, seen it.)

Been over on the Tama forum for a few years. We (the forum members) even managed to survive a period of no moderation. (No moderator present.) I think that all of the members there (well, most) acquitted themselves well. I have seen other forums get too far extended into areas that really do not have much to do with drumming as regards topics. Probably to boost readership. May work there, hope it won’t happen here. (I gotta be careful - my sigs the same on all sites.)

In the 2 cents department: I would caution against too many topics and hence too many sub-topics.

What’s your game plan?

Are there limitations involved in making the Tama crew aware of this new site?

(Yes, I use -and have been called on it many times- too many parantheses)...)))))))

Posted: August 04, 2010 09:51 PM

David Pak

So let it be said. So let it be done.

Pic uploads are up and running.
For the sake of keeping things humming the limitations are three posts per post with a 75k limit.
We feel like this is going to be enough but if we are wrong give us a shout.

Posted: August 05, 2010 11:37 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

I try to be a bit timelier with my online responses to drummagazine.com members, but erniek threw a curveball when he asked, “What’s your game plan?” And frankly, I’ve been thinking about his question ever since.

To a great extent, simply launching the Forum was the initial plan in and of itself. But now that it’s live and beginning to percolate, erniek has forced me to go one step further — and I am very grateful for that.

So here goes. We want this forum to be a place where serious discussions about the art of drumming take root and grow. We don’t intend to allow this forum to be a battleground for flame wars, where arbitrary feuds are enacted and trolls find a home base. On the other hand, we will exert extreme caution about editing or deleting posts — so that while we won’t tolerate racism or sexism, we do want our members to feel free to express themselves civilly. In other words, it’s okay for you to say you think a particular drummer is overrated, but it’s not okay to say you hate his or her race, politics, or religious beliefs.

We want members to take the wheel and steer the course, which is why we have been very selective so far by only registering members who have been invited by the drummagazine.com team. Note for everyone else: Don’t worry, and please don’t take it personally. We will lift the velvet rope very soon. But our game plan is to allow a finite number of handpicked members to define the tone of the forum. Once they help to set the direction, we will open registration to all dummagazine.com users.

One last thing. Erkiek also asked, “Are there limitations involved in making the Tama crew aware of this new site?” Nope. None whatsoever.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: August 06, 2010 03:56 PM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

Pardon my naive question, but what was the tama crew? I was never really apart of the old forum so i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Also on the “pics” subject, is there an option to upload pics onto our public profile that i’ve missed or is it not available yet?

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: August 06, 2010 04:06 PM

erniek

• Newbie Rank

I was referring to the Tama forum members as the “crew.”  cool smile

Posted: August 06, 2010 04:13 PM

David Pak

guarilio989 - 06 August 2010 03:56 PM

Pardon my naive question, but what was the tama crew? I was never really apart of the old forum so i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Also on the “pics” subject, is there an option to upload pics onto our public profile that i’ve missed or is it not available yet?

Stay tuned on that but what types of pics were you thinking?
Gear?
Mugshot?

Posted: August 06, 2010 04:17 PM

guarilio989

yeah, mugshots, pics of you playing, maybe your set-up…you know, the usual stuff.

Signature 

Posted: August 16, 2010 11:29 PM

DrumsRock

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 46
David Pak - 03 August 2010 09:32 PM

It’s not currently an available feature for the community… yet.

When turned on you’ll see an option to upload attachments.
Images will show up as thumbnails that can be clicked to view the larger image.

At issue are good Internet citizen practices such as:
- How many files do we allow per post?
- How large a file(s) do we allow per post?

My first thought is to allow uploads of up to 75KB of images which is good for 2 or 3 good size images but I’m open to arguments.

I’ll table this issue during our next web meeting and see what people think.
And of course if the DRUM! community has thoughts we welcome feedback/suggestions.

just wondering, but is that Mike Borden in that picture?  Cuz I know him, my friend’s family is really good friends with him.

Posted: August 16, 2010 11:50 PM

David Pak

DrumsRock - 16 August 2010 11:29 PM

just wondering, but is that Mike Borden in that picture?  Cuz I know him, my friend’s family is really good friends with him.

Give the man a cigar it is indeed Mike Borden.

http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/mike-bordin-born-to-back-ozzy/

Posted: August 19, 2010 06:01 AM

guarilio989

so dave, just curious, how come you and andy and Rev D get photos for forums but no one else does? still working on that or we’re just not special enough lol

Signature 

1 of 2