2 of 2

If I Could Play With Any Band ...

Posted: December 18, 2010 09:01 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

I couldn’t agree with you more. For one thing, Larry Mullien Jr. has never played traditional drum beats. Instead he orchestrates his patterns across the kit, sometimes ignoring his cymbals altogether. Very inventive. But U2 is also just a kick ass live band, and would be a real hoot to play with.

By the way, I am writing this from my hotel room in Roseville, CA, at the base of the Sierras. I’m playing in Newcastle tonight, at an even higher elevation (I mention this because it’s snowing not that much further east of here). And I’m writing this on my trusty iPad, which I love. The perfect road computer. Gotta get to soundcheck!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: December 28, 2010 03:17 PM

carlo

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

Hey all, missed this one….so here’s my contribution;
For me there’s only one band i’d like to play with: KISS.
It’s not because their the best band in the world (even though i do think so, haha), or that the music (drumming) is really challenging, but Peter Criss is the one that got me started to play the drums.
When i was just a little bit younger then i am now (lol), seeing him and KISS on TV was something like i’d never seen before.
I guess it’s the feeling they gave me; the whole entourage, the show, the make-up, the simple, bombastic but imo effective songs, it meant like everything to me.
I’d love to play with the band that was a huge part of my childhood and to this day still is my all-time favourite.
I know, there are a lot of better bands and better drummers out there, but there’s only one KISS.

Posted: December 29, 2010 07:35 AM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Thie first vote was for Hendrix, and I agree.  Revolutionary guitarist that gave Mitch freedom to jam all over.  That was the first record I wore out learing to play.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: December 30, 2010 10:18 PM

gunnardrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 22

if I could go back to around 79’, I’d drum for either Rush or Pink Floyd…..........

RUSH:  because the fact that Rush has so much unique changes and technical switches, making the songs super fun (and challenging) and rejoiceful since Rush is one of my favorite classic rock bands, it would make me feel emotionally accomplished to even get one of their songs down !

PINK FLOYD:  The feel of their music is so relaxed, mellow, and best of all, thoughtful.  I’ve wanted to be in a band that’s all about the music, not how good you shred at guitar or everything super fast!  NO!!!  I want the music feel the way the mood goes, isn’t that how we all start as drummers?  Pink Floyd has soo much great songs and albums, ewww just listening to Us and Them gets me into meditation!!! :D

Posted: January 31, 2011 10:41 PM

Patrice

• Newbie Rank

The Cure!

And Iron Maiden.

Placebo, too.

Lots more…

Signature 

Banging on: Gretsch, Pearl, dw, and Paiste.
Playing with: Pussy & The Learjets. Bone Clone. Ooh & The Ballyhoo.

Posted: January 31, 2011 10:51 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Great choices! I especially like the idea of playing with The Cure.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: January 31, 2011 11:01 PM

Patrice

• Newbie Rank

Thanks! grin

Man, I’ve been wanting to sit in with The Cure since I started playing the drums some 26 years ago…

I hate bad-mouthing people, but the guy who joined them after Boris Williams left [or kicked out, some claim], is awful. A very nice chap… But that does not a good drummer make; unfortunately…

Signature 

Banging on: Gretsch, Pearl, dw, and Paiste.
Playing with: Pussy & The Learjets. Bone Clone. Ooh & The Ballyhoo.

Posted: February 03, 2011 03:31 PM

Robert Paul Manning- THE NEW FENDERMEN

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

I would pick: Buddy Rich Big Jazz Band - Tower of Power - James Brown Band - Hendrix - Led Zeppelin - Yardbirds with (Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page). In Fact Stanley and the Fendermen whom I played with at that time. Went on tour with The Yardbirds and did a concert at the Avalon Ballroom on Catalina Island.

Posted: March 14, 2011 11:16 AM

Socialdrummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

THE BEATLES - In Hamburg Germany in the early days before the mania!

Signature 

“Aim the aircraft,Aliens are calling,They suck you in & Spit you out,Dump you on the highway,Clinging Clanging Cars & Road Dust,Road Warriors,Road Warriors”

Posted: March 16, 2011 02:23 PM

ProgDrumSolutions

• Newbie Rank

Dream Theater
Symphony X
Avenged Sevenfold

There are lots of bands I would love to play a set with. Of course, I dont have the skills to sit in those seats.

Signature 

Progressive Drumming Solutions
Dwayne
Owner, drummer, designer

Posted: January 14, 2014 06:45 PM

rryman

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 7

KoRn

2 of 2