heel-up or heel-down?

Posted: August 08, 2010 02:22 PM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

What foot technique do you use? I use both depending on whether or not I’m groovin or blastin the song.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: August 08, 2010 05:50 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

I play heel down only during really quiet passages that require a lot of control. Otherwise, I’m a heel-up guy, although I recently refined my pedal stroke so that even when I play heel-up, I control the beater so that it “floats” to the head rather than explodes into it. I now get a more open bass drum tone and almost never get errant double hits. Much better!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: August 08, 2010 09:14 PM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I play heel up, heel-toe, and heel down. I play heel down mostly when playing at lower volumes. The style, feel, speed, etc. of the songs I play dictate the technique I use.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: August 16, 2010 09:41 AM

DrumsRock

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 46

same here. it all depends on what I’mplaying

Posted: August 19, 2010 10:09 PM

clcoleman

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

I am mostly a heels up player since I play mostly rock and metal, but I will use heel down on my hi-hat for control when playing open and closed hats.  I find it easier to control the pressure on the hi-hat with my heel down to get just the right spacing for the sound I want.  Especially for really sloshing sounding hats.

Posted: August 19, 2010 10:27 PM

DrumsRock

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 46

I also play rock, and it all depends on what I need, more power, or more control

Posted: September 16, 2010 12:34 PM

Grebfruit

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 8

I play Heel-up, more speed, more power. I’ve been playing my hi-hat heel-up too, but I’m trying to get into heel-down for the hats.

Posted: January 06, 2011 09:46 AM

Baloo

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

I play heel down for the eight years I have been drumming except when attempting a loud dynamic.  Maybe it is the result of my age, but I experience shin pain when keeping my foot elevated.  I don’t think I am missing much with this technique as it is easy to control the rebound with speed and play triplets, ghost bass notes etc. without much stress.

Posted: January 06, 2011 10:39 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

@baloo

First off, welcome to the forum! I wanted to let you know that it is perfectly legit to play heel-down most of the time, and your use of heel-up technique for loud passages is entirely valid. For the most part, it’s really about your comfort level — if it feels right, go with it. But I think you’ll find that loud drummers generally play heel-up and drummers who play softly usually play heel-down (although you will find variations within each of those categories).

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: February 02, 2011 07:24 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171

well said andy

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: July 26, 2011 03:31 AM

adrianvioli

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 3

@baloo

I’m in a similar boat mate. I don’t necessarily feel pain in the shin when I play heel up but I primarily play heel down. I do play a lot of RnB/Jazz etc so it’s extremely useful for playing soft but I still find I can dig in if I have to. Doubles aren’t a problem either. So, yeah I do both! Works for me! wink

Signature 

Adrian Violi
http://www.thedrumchannel.org