2 of 3

your favorite kick pedals

Posted: September 13, 2010 09:38 AM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 26

Hi all!

My favorite, as of right now, is the Off-Set double bass pedal.

I’ll digress a little bit.  I used to own the Vex Pro Touring double bass pedal.  At the time, I was looking for an inexpensive pedal that I could ‘use’ to learn double bass play, and these fit the bill.  I ended up creating a series of videos showing the various ways the pedals could be configured.

Instruction Video - Vex Pro Touring Double Bass Pedal - Round Two

The above came more out of necessity than anything else.  When I received the pedal and installed it on my bass drum, well, let’s just say they didn’t feel right.  Vex’s support was pretty much non-existent, so after much tweaking I figured out what the problem was.  I figured others may run into similar issues with these, and possible other double pedals that are similarly constructed, so the tips in the videos are not exclusive to the Vex pedals.

But later, I ran into the Off-Set double bass pedal, and now I can’t see myself going back to the typical pedal.  The beaters are in the middle, instead of on the left or right like most other double pedals.  I recently interviewed the creator of the Off-Set pedals and founder of the Off-Set Bass Drum Pedal Company, Charles Fisher.  It’s a great read - highly recommended!  grin

Interview with Charles Fisher, Off-Set Bass Drum Pedal Company

In the interview, you’ll find a link to a complete review of the pedal, which I also encourage you to read.  It will give you something to think about as far as what is the most practical configuration for a double bass pedal.

I hope you enjoy it!

Signature 

Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
The Paradiddler on Twitter
The Paradiddler on YouTube
The Paradiddler on Facebook

Posted: September 13, 2010 10:52 AM

Rev.D.

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 190

I thought about purchasing the Vex pro tour pedal, until I saw your video and learned that the foot board/heel plate bearings came loose. That completely turned me off to those pedals. So I am still searching for the perfect double pedal.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: September 20, 2010 10:23 AM

Vindrums

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 11

I have been using a Ludwig Speed King as my primary single pedal for years. (I use a Tama Iron Cobra double pedal as well). This weekend I received a Pearl Demon Drive and have to admit that it is the first pedal I have played that can compare to my Speed King. The DD is extremely smooth, responsive and well made. This pedal has all the advantages of the SK (fast, smooth) with several modern engineering wonders…such as being able to switch between several feels, long-board to short and numerous height adjustments.

I may have finally found a replacement for my squeaky old Speed Kings!! I highly recommend trying this pedal….I may have to pick up the double version as well.

Posted: September 30, 2010 10:40 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312
Rev.D. - 23 August 2010 10:32 PM

I was thinking about maybe buying the Mapex Falcon double pedal, but it is “first generation” and parts are very hard to come by, if not completely impossible.

I just posted the Mapex Falcon review that ran in DRUM! Magazine earlier this year. Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/2dz8hbs

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 01, 2010 11:42 AM

Rev.D.

Great review. My friend loaned me a Yamaha strap drive. I loved it. My bass player has a an old school direct drive Mapex pedal I am going to try out next week. I’m also going to try another friend’s DW8000 single pedal. I really love the speed and smoothness of the Eliminator strap drive with the red cam.  I want to try every pedal I can before I make my choice, but for now I am leaning toward a strap drive, or at least a pedal that offers both strap and chain drives.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: October 10, 2010 07:50 PM

DrumsRock

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 46

8000s are great, but they do not come in strap drive.  try the 9000 or the 5000, if you’re going to go DW.  I have used both (in chain drive) and they were both awesome.  the 9000, however is really, really, really expensive.  the IC’s also have a strap version.  The IC is currently my favorite pedal.

Posted: October 12, 2010 02:02 PM

bigbeat

• Total Posts: 107

Trick Pro V 1 double pedal.  Smooth, fast, easy adjustments, build strong.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 13, 2010 06:16 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171
bigbeat - 12 October 2010 02:02 PM

only problem is they’re so darn expensive :(

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: October 13, 2010 09:08 AM

Rev.D.

guarilio989 - 13 October 2010 06:16 AM
bigbeat - 12 October 2010 02:02 PM

only problem is they’re so darn expensive :(

Very expensive! I could buy a drum set with that kind of cash!

Signature 

Posted: October 13, 2010 11:19 AM

bigbeat

Expensive yes but worth it.  As far as getting a kit for that, I’ve spent more than that for one drum.
Trick’s Dominator pedal can save you a little cash, still high quality, but still expensive.  You can also save a couple bucks if you buy direct from Trick at a drum show.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 13, 2010 12:28 PM

Rev.D.

If the Dominators came with the Pro V1 beaters, they would be perfect.

Signature 

Posted: October 13, 2010 01:09 PM

bigbeat

If your serious, ask for it.  In this economy, who knows what kind of deals can be had.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: October 13, 2010 01:32 PM

Rev.D.

Maybe I will give them a call or e-mail them.

Signature 

Posted: November 23, 2010 01:54 PM

Hunter00

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

I LOVE the Mapex Falcon! I don’t own it yet but I’ve fooled around with it and I love it! But I can agree that it’ll also be hard to come by parts for it.

Posted: December 02, 2010 03:10 PM

luvluds

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Hi guys I am new to your forum. My favorite is still the Ludwig Speedking.
I used an Iron Cobra for the longest time, but ended reverting back to old faithful!!
You guys have a great site!!!!
Cheers

2 of 3