Stick bags

Posted: August 07, 2012 09:19 AM

bigbeat

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

I’ve had the same Zildjian Super stick bag for over 10 years & have been very happy with it. A small rip appeared & was repaired. Now it has reappeared & I feel it’s time to replace the bag. I’d love to get the same bag, but I’ve read some bad reviews on it, both ripping & braking the zipper. Since I’ve had little complaints, I wonder if Z changed manufacturing or suppliers causing the problems on more recent bags.

So what brand bag do you use? What to you like & hate about your current bag?
I liked the Zildjian Super because it’s a little bigger, but not bulky. I like the small pocket inside for drum keys & egg shakers, plus the pencil holder.

Signature 

loud is my forte

Posted: August 07, 2012 09:24 AM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

I’ve had one of those Ddrum backpack/stick bags for years, and really love it, especially when I play out town and have to stay overnight in a motel. It’s big enough to allow me to pack 1) multiple pairs of sticks, 2) a change of clothes, 3) a towel, 4) my iPad, 5) snacks, 6) small tools like drumkeys, and 7) power cords for my cell phone and iPad. In fact, mine is so worn out at this point that I plan to order a new one soon.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 13, 2012 09:16 PM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49
bigbeat - 07 August 2012 09:19 AM

I’ve had the same Zildjian Super stick bag for over 10 years & have been very happy with it. A small rip appeared & was repaired. Now it has reappeared & I feel it’s time to replace the bag. I’d love to get the same bag, but I’ve read some bad reviews on it, both ripping & braking the zipper. Since I’ve had little complaints, I wonder if Z changed manufacturing or suppliers causing the problems on more recent bags.

So what brand bag do you use? What to you like & hate about your current bag?
I liked the Zildjian Super because it’s a little bigger, but not bulky. I like the small pocket inside for drum keys & egg shakers, plus the pencil holder.

Reunion Blues makes bags that last! I got mine from Steve Maxwell.

GJS

Posted: October 04, 2012 04:17 PM

JDragon

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 23

I purchased a Zildjian Super a couple years ago- been gigging with it with no problems since then and it is stuffed FULL- no rips/no zipper malfunctions yet

Posted: October 16, 2012 02:45 PM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

I have been using my Pro-Mark stick bag now since 2002. ItS leather, it holds up well when I take it gigging, has the storage space that I need, & looks cool, too. I love the embroidered “Pro-Mark” logo going down the side of the bag. But I must admit that out of almost every drummer that I’ve ever met, taught, & even my heros & the drummers that I read about monthly in “DRUM!” (& the other drumming periodicals I get), I carry very little in my stick bag in comparison! The Vic Firth “What’s In (various endoesers) Stick Bag?” ad campaign a few years back really shocked me as to how much drummers carry around! I guess that I like to keep it simple-actually OVERLY simple might be a better way to articulate it! I only carry 4 pairs of sticks @ a time-2 pair of Pro-Mark’s Mike Portnoy 420s for slower, softer playing, & 2 pair of Neil Peart 747 Oaks for the more heavy-handed stuff, 1 pair of Pro-Mark steel brushes (kept in their tube), 1 pair of P-M mallets(medium-soft rubber) for when my gong is set up & for cymbal swells, 1 DW tuning key (I keep a 2nd around my neck on a DW lanyard), & 1 bottle of Sabian’s cymbal cleaner w/ a small towelette to wipe them w/. That’s all that I’ve ever needed in my 21 years of playing. Many fellow drummers, even my students have commented on how little I keep in my bag. I cannot think of anything else that I (speaking only for myself) would need. The ONLY addition that I’m considering (& have considered in the last 2 decades) is a pair of rutes, but I have yet to even purchase a pair! Thanks everyone & keep posting!
Brian Jezuit