NEIL!

Posted: August 27, 2010 06:04 AM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

I know much has been written about him…. but -just saw the Time Machine performance by RUSH in Omaha…. met him backstage in ‘76 (i think!) during 2112 tour… what a great artist and amazing drummer! I will forever be inspired to work harder on my skills after (again) seeing him LIVE…...

Posted: August 27, 2010 11:54 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Be sure to check out our special Neil Peart feature page at http://www.drummagazine.com/special/neil-peart, where we have posted every interview the Professor ever granted to DRUM! Magazine.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: August 28, 2010 03:45 PM

Dreeddrums

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 39

he’s gunna be in columbus tomorrow night, wish i could go but not goin to be able to make it this time.

Signature 

I consider every drummer that’s Played before me an influence, in every way- buddie rich

Posted: September 13, 2010 02:18 PM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 26

Of course, I assumed that if a topic is called “NEIL!”, then it could only mean Mr. Peart.

I’ve written a few articles on my site that are dedicated to Neil, who happens to be my favorite drummer.

I call Neil my ‘reference drummer’, which basically means he’s the one who’s inspired me the most (not exclusively, just mostly).  Here’s what I mean:

The Reference Drummer

Of course, when you think of Neil Peart you also think drum solos.  As of this post, there have been eight of his solos published, either via vinyl, CD, or DVD within the context of a Rush concert.  In any case, I took it upon myself to rate the solos, from ‘worst’ to first, in a series of articles (nine total).  I tried to be as ojective as possible, putting aside my subjective favorite (which is hard for Rush fans), and really get into the nuts and bolts of every aspect of these great solos.  Here’s a link to the introductory article:

Neil Peart’s Solos Ranked

I go into detail as far as the particulars of each solo, plus why I ranked it where I did.  I also spell out the criteria that I used to rank them.  As objective as I thought I was, I knew there would be disagreements, but hey, it’s my ranking!  cool smile

I will be seeing Rush at the end of this month in Atlanta for their Time Machine tour, so we’ll see what I think of his current solo!

Enjoy!

Signature 

Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
The Paradiddler on Twitter
The Paradiddler on YouTube
The Paradiddler on Facebook

Posted: November 21, 2010 04:20 PM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 26

Hello again!

Speaking of Neil, and of Rush, I finally posted my review of Rush’s appearance in Alpharetta, GA on September 29th, 2010.  Well, I didn’t want to write it at the same time everyone else was!

Rush On Tour - The Paradiddler’s Epilogue

Even though it’s a commentary on the whole show, I expound a little on the musicianship of the band members, including our own Mr. Peart.  These guys just rock.

Signature 

Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
The Paradiddler on Twitter
The Paradiddler on YouTube
The Paradiddler on Facebook

Posted: November 22, 2010 02:37 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

Thanks Omar- lotsa info… and for those interested the new ‘Fire on Ice’ DVD is an interesting “making of” video I was able to purchase recently and enjoy! Very worth the money and gives insight on the industry…

Posted: January 04, 2011 06:44 PM

Hunter00

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 20

In my opinion, Neil Peart is just a role model or what every drummer should be. He has overall speed, musical theory knowledge, and uses a very WIDE range of instruments when he plays. His solos are very structured (I just bought ‘Der Trommler’ online.) and also not too crazy and quick to wear you can actually follow along and enjoy it almost like any regular Rush song.