Roy Haynes

Posted: September 06, 2012 07:09 PM

Nickkapka

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 7

I had the pleasure of seeing Roy Haynes at the Chicago jazz fest last weekend and have to say I was stunned. Everyone knows how great Roy is but the fact that he is 87 and still touring and playing so great absolutely amazed me. I guess his age made me expect something a little different.i just loved the way swings. There were times his foot was no where near the hihat but he never broke that undeniable Roy Haynes swing.between songs he joked with the audience and was so witty and sharp I would’ve guessed he was in his 50’s if I didn’t know better. He even layed a mike on the floor and tap danced during a number. I learned a valuable lesson never to assume anything when it comes to these aging American icons. I’m off to see kiss tomorrow here in Chicago with my daughter and I’m sure they won’t disappoint . They never do. Do yourself a favor and go out of your way to see some of these special American icons. We really don’t know how long they will be with us. And remember assumption is the mother of all screwups when it comes to expecting something from these aging American treasures( they don’t have to be American ) I hope you’re as surprised as much as I was.  Nick Kapka Chicago

Posted: September 06, 2012 08:43 PM

rosegate

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 36

You said it. The next time Roy comes to California I’m going to take some young kids to see him in person. When you see how Roy plays into and through the song, and how he has a touch on the drum set that no one else can dream of. For years he was the drummer for jazz singer Sarah Vaughan. Roy claims to know the words to every jazz standard there ever was. And, when he plays them, he’s not just keeping time. He’s playing to the emotion that is in the lyrics of the song. He’s keeping time, soloing, and singing all at once. No matter what your age, or style of music, Roy Haynes will amaze you.

Posted: September 13, 2012 07:16 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 109

Hi everyone! Yes, I concur w/ you all…Roy Haynes is not only a legend of our instrument, but a real treat to watch. Unfortunatley, I’ve never had the privilage of seeing him perform live, but I do have several drumming festival type DVDs in my collection that feature a great deal of him playing both w/ his ensamble jazz band & solo (which I really love)! A master of jazz & swing, he makes the ultra-complex look almost easy. & @ his age being of the octogenarian level, he still plays w/ the enthusiasim, joy, energy, & grace of a much younger player-but w/ the elegance that comes w/ his experience & time behind the kit! Thank you for shining a light on such an innovator, legend, & master of the drums & drumming community!
Brian Jezuit