Guitar players/band leaders

Posted: August 27, 2010 01:27 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

I recently played a BIG gig- first set goes over great and I soloed out with Moby Dick (my rendition…) Things are going well as we take the stage again…. and the lead guitar player/band leader forgets the intro to first song. As we stumble along second set he forgets lead parts and words… I’m trying to keep the bass player and keyboardist on track and he turns around and glares at me as if I did something wrong. Anybody else have this happen? Then later he says I’m rushing… I’ve been playing for almost 40 years and I THINK my timing is pretty good…. Needless to say I’ve been practicing with my metronome….a lot. Should I just let it go and not say anything? The gig was videoed and the mistakes are obvious as to WHO is off… I want to keep in good graces with these guys but am musically frustrated. He is a friend and I think must have had a health issue that night ( I still I have another band and we seem to mesh very well…) Thanks for any comments guys!

Posted: August 29, 2010 10:23 AM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

This kinda reminds me of a problem Andy’s wrote about a few DRUM! issues back involving another guitar player with bad time. I don’t remember what issue it was but someone sent in a message saying to just make a joke out of it and tell them ya it was sorta their fault but don’t come outright and say it. 9/10 times that ends bad. If you get DRUM! just back log a little bit and find the two issues. the first one has Andy’s problem in the editors thoughts section(I forget the name lol) and then either the following issue or the one after that has a readers response to Andy’s problem. I don’t remember which ones they were. maybe that will help

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: December 22, 2010 10:38 PM

stylerprofyler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 8

definitely bring it up. his awful playing represents your good playing.

be careful how you say it though, no need to start a fight- and one WILL probably start.

Signature 

Reach me @
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
twitter@STylerML
myspace@STylerML
XBOXLIVE STylerprofyler
PSN STylerprofyler
facebook.com/stylerprofyler
1-604-836-3574
BBM- 322c3e36
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefazeproject
http://www.youtube.com/user/stylerprofyler
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Faze-Project/177886642235601

Posted: February 04, 2011 10:00 AM

Patrice

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 9

Same old problem; even though I wish it didn’t exist, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one experiencing it.

I have recently insisted on using a click track at all rehearsals - it helps you to figure out who is rushing and/or dragging.

Most non-drummers are just not aware enough of the tempo.

Luckily, most of the peeps I play with have “seen the light” and are now practicing at home with a metronome. Yeah! grin

Signature 

Banging on: Gretsch, Pearl, dw, and Paiste.
Playing with: Pussy & The Learjets. Bone Clone. Ooh & The Ballyhoo.

Posted: February 10, 2011 02:36 PM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

I have addressed the issue…. calmly and with finesse… (I think)... I am spending more time in the band that understands and has that good ‘second sense’ of correct time. I am trying to convince the other band (with the problems…) to practice to CD tracks I have laid down of drums only…. I only hope it will help with those songs where there is no extended soloing. The main problems seem to be initial bpm agreement and timing changes they can’t easily follow. I have agreed to slow down arrangements and at times they have seen how they then tend to draaaaaaag. Hopefully they will continue to PRACTICE as that is what seems to be the admitted problem with these issues. Letting them know which band works together best seems to have a bit of an effect on the other players….It is funny how some people just ‘click’ musically and others….no have groove…