2 of 2

The Kickport

Posted: August 19, 2010 10:37 PM

clcoleman

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

Andy don’t worry about the waxing, the Kickport is awesome!

I saw one used at a show in San Francisco last year, asked what it was after the show and ordered one the next day.  Jesse got it to me two days later.

I installed it in my 22x18 DW on a Remo Ebony Ambassador.  I have a Powerstroke 3 on the batter.  Now I thought I have a fairly punchy, deep bass to start.  I was wrong.  The Kickport dropped the tone, opened up the sound, and gave my bass the deep thump I had been looking for, all without any muffling inside, so the resonance of the shell is not lost.

One of the most incredible products I have seen.  Basically porting your bass like a sub-woofer is.  The product is incredible.  And you can tune it by rotating it around in the port and by the tension of the front head.  Mic it right in front of the hole for a nice punchy attack, or place the mic inside a ways for a more open, resonant tone.

I believe in a few years this product will be standard on almost all bass drums, it is that great.

Posted: September 16, 2010 08:38 AM

Carl Peterson

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 12

Funny..I was messing around with this idea 10 years ago..I made my own again yesterday and saved 30 bucks..

Posted: September 16, 2010 08:40 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

Ha! I would love to see a picture of what your “Kickport” looks like, if you don’t mind posting in online.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 16, 2010 09:09 AM

Carl Peterson

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 12

Andy..I think Im going to try to patent it to be honest..Its way better than the existing one..in looks and tonal function..Also, it will run the average guy about 15.00..

Posted: September 16, 2010 09:25 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

Understood. Best of luck with your patent!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: September 23, 2010 01:52 PM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 26
Carl Peterson - 16 September 2010 09:09 AM

Andy..I think Im going to try to patent it to be honest..Its way better than the existing one..in looks and tonal function..Also, it will run the average guy about 15.00..

Hey Carl,

I’d love to review your product when you think it’s ready for review!  I haven’t gotten the Kickport yet, but it’s on my short list.  I have a 22x18 birch kick, and I’d love to add more bottom end to it, especially for when I use my camcorder to record my playing.  I’d love to compare the two ‘port’ products.

Good luck with the patent!

Signature 

Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
The Paradiddler on Twitter
The Paradiddler on YouTube
The Paradiddler on Facebook

Posted: November 02, 2010 11:07 AM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

O.K., the verdict still is not in for me about the Kick Port. Although everyone agrees that it enhances the sound of un-miked kicks and works great for that application, I never play in un-miced situations. So could someone please post a review of a kick Port miced, and which mic position got the best results. It would be greatly appreciated.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: December 10, 2010 11:08 AM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 26
Carl Peterson - 16 September 2010 09:09 AM

Carl!  Any news on your patent?  I’d love to take a look at your product.  Is that possible?

Signature 

Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
The Paradiddler on Twitter
The Paradiddler on YouTube
The Paradiddler on Facebook

Posted: December 22, 2010 11:35 PM

stylerprofyler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 8

it’s not a subtle difference at all, and it’s immediate. definitely for the better.

Signature 

Reach me @
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
twitter@STylerML
myspace@STylerML
XBOXLIVE STylerprofyler
PSN STylerprofyler
facebook.com/stylerprofyler
1-604-836-3574
BBM- 322c3e36
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefazeproject
http://www.youtube.com/user/stylerprofyler
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Faze-Project/177886642235601

Posted: December 22, 2010 11:36 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

I agree.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

Posted: April 25, 2012 05:03 PM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 30

Hi I own the PDP M5 with a 22x18 bass drum and I must say since installing my kickport it sounds much more deeper and responsive.I would definately use it on all my bass drumheads.I have the Powerstroke Pro batter on too
What do others think??

Posted: April 25, 2012 05:13 PM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank

I own a PDP M5 kit with a 22x18 bass drum and with the kickport installed it does sound a lot more responsive.Goes well with my Powerstroke Pro batter I had put on
What do others think??

Posted: April 25, 2012 05:14 PM

PDP drummer

• Newbie Rank
Andy Doerschuk_1 - 03 July 2010 03:01 PM

I believe that the thing that makes the Kickport different from internal muffling techniques is that you get a lot more air in the sound while still adding punch and depth. The Kickport acts exactly like a speaker cone installed in the reso drumhead.

I agree andy

Posted: April 25, 2012 07:24 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 108

It’s interesting. As many of you know I bought a new set at the end of last year, which took a couple months to be delivered. In the meantime, I kept playing my trusty old 4-piece, which had definitely seen some heavy usage over the years. During the last couple weeks before my new kit arrived, I began to notice a slight buzzing coming from my bass drum. Upon closer inspection it seemed as if the Kickport apparatus had become loose inside the porthole I had originally cut for it. Or, more likely, the hole had widened. Either way, it sure seemed as if the Kickport suddenly began to rattle because of it.

So when I got my new kit, I cut a porthole in the front head, installed some material to muffle the drum, and simply began to play it old-styley, without a Kickport. The sound of the kick drum was pretty darn beefy as it was. I’ll keep you updated if at some point in the future I decide my new bass drum needs some sonic enhancement.

But it does seem quite possible that if you become a habitual Kickport user you might have to change your front bass drumhead more often than you would otherwise.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk

2 of 2