A Power Shuffle

Posted: September 01, 2010 08:43 PM

Warren Wright

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 31

Here is one type of shuffle I came up with while trying to enhance a normally boring country shuffle..and Im certainly not the one who first came up with it by any means but it is one Ive not seen demonstrated on any of the drum video’s Ive seen.

This one I use on hard driving traditional country shuffles and is what Ive aptly named the “Power Shuffle”.
Most songs of this type start with a driving intro and played off the Ride cymbal, and then during the Verses, it goes to the hi hat.  My particular set up includes closed hi hats on the right hand side of my kit ( the Gibraltar X-Hat).  So this makes it really easy for me to do;  I play 1/4 notes on the left hi hat with the foot and play the ANDS with my right stick on the right closed hats.  During the first 4 bars of the Chorus, I play the ANDS on the Left Hi Hat while keeping the 4s running with the left foot, for the extra drive intensity and then drop back to the right hand closed hat with the ANDS.
On the Lead Rides, I go back to the Left Hat with the ANDS while keeping the 1/4 notes going with the left foot and then after 4 bars, I switch to playing the ANDS off the ride cymbal and then switch between the standard shuffle pattern and the ANDS and the left foot doing the 4s on the Left Hat.
Now, for those who only have the standard hi hat on the left…go with the regular shuffle pattern on the closed left hats and then go to the 4s on the foot and the Ands with the right hand on the hat as well and then you can switch to the ride cymbal.

Varying the right hand pattern will keep it from becoming monotonous and give it a bit of variety to keep it interesting.

The end result of this is a Fat and Hard Driving shuffle that with a fat Power Rim Shot on the Snare and a Heavy driving 4/4 pattern on the Kick will drive Nails~and the rest of the band into that “Zone” where the only thing that exists is the “Groove”~. 
It will also work on some tunes that fall into a “blues” shuffle style with similar results.

Signature 

I am a Drummer…its not only what I do…its also an integral part of who I am

Posted: September 02, 2010 01:48 AM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 312

I would love to see a video demonstration of it!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 02, 2010 07:57 AM

Warren Wright

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 31

If I only had a vid camera Andy. 
The best I can do is make an audio recording this weekend as our band works every Thursday and every Saturday and then every other Friday we do a couple of gigs down the road from our main ballroom gig.  I have two YouTube contributions of our band but could only do a photo slideshow with the recorded audio.  I record with a Yamaha Pocketrak C24 Digital recorder and with a touch of EQ, the recordings sound pretty ok.  Nothing like a studio recording but still decent enough so you can hear everything thats going on, including the vocals.
I will make sure we do one of our “beer drinkin” hard driving 4/4 shuffle songs and record it, so you can hear it in context with a live band.

Also, you could sit down behind your kit and give it a whirl.  You might come up with something a bit different that sounds better and then you could pass that along to the rest of us.

In case you’re curious as to what a 61 year old fat man sounds like on Icy Hot, Tylenol and a 6 piece Yamaha Oak Custom drum kit, along with four other fat men older than himself, do a search on YouTube for “The Country Wranglers - Walking The Dog” and also “The Country Wranglers - What I’d Say”.

These tunes were recorded straight off the bandstand with no editing…what is heard on youtube is what our dance crowd heard while we played it. 

The slideshow is made up of band member pics and you will note that not only are we a well rounded band musically, our waist lines match our music.

Signature 

I am a Drummer…its not only what I do…its also an integral part of who I am