3 of 4

Your Favorite stick

Posted: August 10, 2011 04:57 AM

Skulmoski

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 49

I recently switched from the fantastic Vator 5B to Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride. I like how the wood rather than the plastic tip sounds on my cymbals (e.g. improved stick definition).

GJS

Posted: September 12, 2011 10:00 PM

Yetso97

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 10

My favorite as of right now is Vater’s Mike Wengren signature model, they have that extra little bit of length to let me spread things out a little more (as a bigger man, this is a plus), they’re VERY durable, and seem to have the perfect amount of grip in the finish. The all black look is a cool plus.

Signature 

Phrasing people!!! Phrasing!!!

Posted: September 13, 2011 07:15 AM

drumbri24

• Moderator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 110

Hi all!
Favorite sticks…great topic (as usual on the “DRUM!” Magazine Forum)!
  My personal favorite stick manufacturer is Pro-Mark. They’re the only sticks that I’ve been using since I began playing 20+years ago! From 1991 (the year that I began this amazing journey) until about 2002, I used the Neil Peart 747 white oak Autograph Model exclusivley. In (or around) ‘02, I found that the Mike Portnoy Autograph Model 420 hickory (w/ nylon tip) fit my hands a bit better (I’m not a big guy-my weight has been 132-135lbs. for the past 15 years, so my hands are relativley small). Also, over the past 3 years, I’ve really fallen in like w/ the Simon Phillips 707 hickory (wood tip) Autograph Model stick. It has a completley round tip, which produces really sharp cymbal sounds. My main rides are Sabian’s 21"HHX Raw Bell Dry Ride (for my blues gig) & the 22"Paragon Ride (for any type of rock applications) & I’ve never had a better, more clear ‘ping’ sound than I get from that stick & the bell? Hitting the bell of ride w/ the Phillips stick’s tip gives a very close sound/volume to hitting the bell w/ the shoulder of other sticks!!!
  All 3 are my faves, b/c they all serve a set purpose. For my blues gig, I use the Portnoy. It’s the most comfortable for playing in traditional grip (which I do for my blues gig). The Peart stick is my ‘rock stick’—any rock playing is done w/ that stick. & I use the Phillips stick as my all-around daily practice stick, as well as my Roland V-Drums kit. It’s the only stick that I use on my e-kit!
  I really enjoyed posting on this topic. Actually I love posting on all of the topics. OK, I just LOVE talking drums, drumming, & drummers!!! I could do it all day, every day! I love this Forum b/c is allows us drummers to do exactly that!
Be well, Brian JeZuit

Posted: September 17, 2011 09:07 AM

per-rock

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 13

My favorite stick is Pro-Mark 5A Hickory wodden tip!

First post by the way!
(Dunno if i can say it here but do not wanna make new topic.
I subscribed to the magazine and it said the current issue is december 2011.
Does that mean I will get the december issue or will I get them sooner? Thanks!)

Posted: September 17, 2011 09:21 AM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

@per-rock First of all, thanks for subscribing! We’re working on the December issue right now, so you should get it if you recently subscribed. Welcome to the Forum!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 17, 2011 10:29 AM

David Pak

• Total Posts: 165

What Andy didn’t mention was that the DRUM! team is actually from the future and only comes back to deliver each issue and update the website. It’s all very complicated. In fact, I’ve probably already said too much.

Posted: September 17, 2011 11:37 AM

Andy Doerschuk

• Total Posts: 107

I think you might be right!

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 17, 2011 01:45 PM

per-rock

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 13
David Pak - 17 September 2011 10:29 AM

What Andy didn’t mention was that the DRUM! team is actually from the future and only comes back to deliver each issue and update the website. It’s all very complicated. In fact, I’ve probably already said too much.

Haha humor I like that! Thanks!

Posted: October 04, 2011 10:24 AM

longgun

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

Ahead 7A’s

Posted: October 04, 2011 07:13 PM

drumbri24

I must add to my fave stick list. I’ve recently found that, for really rocking out, Vic Firth’s Danny Carey Signature stick is GREAT. It’s quite beefy & has a ‘cut-in’ design @ the frip area (so forget traditional grip). It comes in wood & nylon tip, although the latter is relativley new. The wood tip is what Danny uses & is the original model. Be well,
Brian Jezuit

Posted: October 27, 2011 08:52 AM

SteveTX

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

Lately, I’m digging Vic Firth 5AN Extremes (nylon-tipped).  I like the slightly extra weight and length of the Extremes over the regular 5ANs

Signature 

—-
Tama | Remo | Zildjian | Vic Firth

Posted: January 31, 2012 07:37 PM

Rob

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

I have used a variety of stick brands.  Any drummer should be able to play with whatever may be at hand.  A comfortable drummer is a better drum, so I use what feels right to me. I have become loyal to Vic Firth.  No matter how hard or long I play I find that I have broken less sticks when I use VF’s.  I use the VF grip 5A wood and nylon tips.  I also use plain American Classic woods for more jazz with rim shot.  I also use brushes and rods.  I have found that Pro-Mark offers a superior product and variety.  I have use all the rod varieties except the Thunder Rods.  They are huge and produce a huge percussive sound.  Too much for the music I play.  As for brushes I prefer a medium nylon but a steel has that particular sound that you cannot duplicate.

Posted: February 01, 2012 05:58 PM

drumbri24

Hi everyone! I’ve recently discovered another stick that I really have taken a liking to. & for the best of all, it’s a great all-purpose stick. Pro-Mark’s Todd Sucherman Autograph Model. Although beefy & more of a ‘rock’ stick, the fact that it’s made of maple makes it lighter that one would initally think. Therefore making it a good match for jazz, blues, calssic rock, all the way to hard rock/metal. We all know that Todd plays in traditional grip exclusivley, so that one can assume that jazz/blues/or any ‘light-handed’ playing would be appropriate w/ this model. But it’s perfect for rock, too-in either grip!
Be well, Brian Jezuit

Posted: March 13, 2012 03:18 PM

dorfmeister

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Ahead 7A

Posted: March 22, 2012 04:01 PM

linanne1012

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 5

Hi everyone!

For Jazz- QUEST LOVE. Extra long/thin.
For In between - Vic Firth Perfect Pair 5a’s.
For heavier rock and metal - AHEAD sticks. They literally never break.

I’m also really into Steve Gadd Drum sticks by vic firth for really light rock/medium-heavy jazz.

READ ON….....................

I recently entered a contest for female drummers, called Hit Like A Girl.

I am trying to string up as many votes as possible to get into the top 12, so if you like what you hear, feel free to vote & forward the link!

Thank you for your time.

http://www.hitlikeagirl2012.com/videos/lindsay-a

3 of 4