Shoes or Bare foot

Posted: September 05, 2010 08:54 AM

dreeddrums

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 40

Bare foot

Signature 

I consider every drummer that’s Played before me an influence, in every way- buddie rich

Posted: September 05, 2010 02:37 PM

guarilio989

• Sr. Member RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 171

depends. Sometimes I feel like barefoot, sometimes I want my shoes.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: September 08, 2010 10:53 AM

Rev.D.

• Total Posts: 190

I use Converse All Stars as well. Sometimes I will play barefoot though.

Signature 

A good drummer will sound good on anything. A Bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Posted: September 09, 2010 03:33 PM

Andy Doerschuk_1

• Total Posts: 312

Very interesting thread here.

I played barefooted (well, with socks on, at least) throughout my childhood, and continued shoeless even when I went to music school in the ’70s. I have a feeling it’s more common than many drummers think, since we spend years practicing in our bedrooms before ever going onstage — I mean, who puts on shoes to hang out in your bedroom? But I began playing with my shoes on after getting a splinter in my foot from a wooden stage. I had to play an entire set with a hunk of wood in my bass pedal foot! It was nightmarish. And painful!

The funny thing is that every once in a while since then I’ve tried again to play without shoes on, and it felt so weird and foreign that I had trouble believing that I ever played that way habitually.

As my buddy Arthur Hull is wont to say: Life’s a dance!

P.S. It’s Sketchers high-tops for me.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: September 10, 2010 07:18 AM

guarilio989

• Total Posts: 171
bashboomcrash - 08 September 2010 07:43 AM

Hi Top Converse All Stars for over 20 years…

that was my weapon of choice until about 5 years ago when i got my first double bass pedal. ‘round about the same time my brother bought a pair of Starter wrestling shoes to custom fit…then he went through a growth spurt. now I have those wrestling shoes and i use them almost all the time cuz they are light, airy, and fit like a glove from heaven. Sometimes I play barefoot too.

Signature 

Hit Hard, Play Fast, Have Fun

Posted: September 14, 2010 11:53 AM

gbond

• Jr. Member RankRank
  • Total Posts: 32

Neil Peart says… dancing shoes!  But I have always double bassed in socks- when I play ‘formal’ stuff like at a church or a school I will wear slip on comfortable shoes that fit well (snug!)

Posted: September 16, 2010 12:30 PM

Grebfruit

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 8

Socks or sneakers I choose to play with.

Posted: September 18, 2010 11:21 PM

BlakeMatus

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

You guys may or may not be familiar with TOMS shoes. If not, give them a look on google.

Essentially, they are this type of slip on, with really light soles, but still rigid enough to have substance. I used to play barefoot, but after not having a toe stop and slicing my left big toe too many times, I started playing with TOMS. They have actually made playing more comfortable due to the sole protecting my foot more, and after the sole wears down a bit, it makes heel toe playing feel like you’re walking on clouds. I know that right now they have a lot of popularity because of their company policy of donating a pair for every pair bought, but from a strictly performing standpoint, at $40-$55 dollars a pair, I find them to be a very sound investment for playing.

Signature 

I smell a breakdown.

Posted: September 20, 2010 09:20 AM

theparadiddler

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 26

Every time I play without shoes (as in just wearing socks), my pedal playing is just a sloppy mess.  So I’ll stick to playing with shoes (or sneakers).

I’ve found that wearing thin-soled sneakers works well for me, since I have a good feel for the pedal, while feeling pretty loose ankle movement.  I can’t see myself drumming with hi-tops.

Signature 

Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
The Paradiddler on Twitter
The Paradiddler on YouTube
The Paradiddler on Facebook

Posted: September 28, 2010 04:33 AM

Styx

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

I have only been drumming for 4 months but I started with regular sneakers.  When my drum teacher suggested trying barefeet (w/socks) it definately felt better. Then, I bought a pair of Puma wrestling shoes, sneakers really, I think I will be staying with them.  They are super light with a very thin sole and extremely comfortable.

Posted: September 29, 2010 11:15 PM

Dan Cunningham

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 15

I like to play with socks. I have tried totally barefoot and my foot sticks to the pedal too much. I have worn Chuck Taylors for probably 5 years and I never wear them when playing, I just slip them off before I play. I have tried to play with my shoes on many times, but they stick to the pedal to much as well. I like to slide my foot around on the pedal and I also like to feel the pedal. Alot of times when I play fast double bass I find my self putting my feet to the sides of the pedals and just using my big toes (its wierd but very comfortable for me).

Posted: October 02, 2010 12:54 PM

AbbieT.

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 1

Depends what you prefer, I find it easier barefoot/socks. But if i HAVE to wear shoes Converses are pretty damn good cause they aren’t too restrictive movement wise.

Signature 

Stay Sic, Abbie \m/

Posted: January 09, 2011 08:40 AM

al15

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 5

My favorite alternative is wearing some cheap slip-on sneakers I buy at K-Mart. I think the last time they were $7. They’re light, and they’re not bulky, so they make it much easier to finesse things with my feat.

Signature 

Al in Illinois
I just love to beat on stuff with sticks!

Pearl Kits:

Reference: Crystal Rain - 10,12,13,14,16,22
Masters MCX: Chestnut Fade - 10,12,13,14,16,22
Vision VBX: Orange Zest - 10,12,13,14,16,18,22

Posted: January 22, 2011 12:47 AM

BAM_BAM

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 4

I play barefoot as mush as I can. I like it a lot more. Gives me a better feel of where my foot is on the board. But sometimes when you are playing a friends backyard and its snowing…..you gotta put on some shoes…...

Signature 

In Sanity’s Defense (Joined 2010)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Sanitys-Defense/142882382397486 or http://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Sanitys-Defense/142882382397486

Demise of Desdemona (Formed 2011)

Posted: January 31, 2011 12:41 AM

Invictus138

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 6

I usually have a problem playing with shoes on. I even take them off before going on stage, haha. It feels like I can just play better, and have more control without any shoes on. Probably because I’m just used to it though. I think playing with a splinter would scar me for life though haha, I know blisters are horrible too. Socks all the way! LOL

Signature 

Seven Kingdoms