Practice routine!

Posted: October 20, 2012 11:39 AM

wesband2005

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 2

Hello,I was wondering what are some good things to practice on.There is so much to do,I don’t know where to start.
Thanks,
Wes

Signature 

http://www.reverbnation.com/wessanders

Posted: October 20, 2012 04:01 PM

Andy Doerschuk

• Administrator RankRankRankRank
  • Total Posts: 107

Hey Wes,

That’s a pretty difficult question to answer — at least if you’re looking for specific suggestions. However, I think a good rule of thumb is to practice the techniques that you find most difficult. In other words, if you have a natural gift for playing fast single strokes but find that you often speed up when you play with a band, then use your single strokes to warm up at the beginning of your practice session, and put most of your emphasis on practicing time with a metronome. Of course, you’re the best judge about your strengths and weaknesses, so make your decisions based on recent experience.

I hope that helps.

Signature 

Andy Doerschuk
Editorial director, drummagazine.com

Posted: October 28, 2012 08:57 AM

JDragon

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 23

Like Andy says- everybody establishes a practice pattern over time- to warm up I start w/simple beats, then add speed and intricacy to the beat, then change time signatures as I go…. for a practice session, I first review what I practiced last with the band that I feel needs work, then review some rudiments at varying speeds, then maybe pull out an instruction book or remember something from an instructional DVD by Peart or Mayer and try that. Then I always end with a fun solo type jam. The ideas can be endless!

Posted: January 26, 2013 09:54 PM

chris wi

• Newbie Rank
  • Total Posts: 6

I agree with andy also what i do and it sounds novice but remember to make your left and right hands equally dominate.