Evans Asks: Are You The Heaviest Hitter?
The search for heavy never ends. Evans has come up with a great new contest to find the heaviest hitter. It's a promotion for the company's two-ply Level 360 Heavyweight heads, designed to stand up to the beefiest percussive destruction.
To enter, contestants must record a 3-minute playing video, upload it to Youtube, and then post the link on the online entry form. Sixteen finalists will be chosen to compete in a bracket-style tournament. The winner will receive a Mapex Wraith Matt Halpern snare drum, heads, and other prizes. Visit the site for more info.
DW Purchases Fender Brands Gretsch, LP, Toca, Kat, & More
For months the big speculation in the music products industry has centered on rumors that Fender Musical Instruments was going to sell some of the brands it owns and distributes through its Kaman Music subsidiary. Now we know the rumors are true.
Drum Workshop, Inc. and Fender Musical Instruments announced today that they have agreed to a sale of the brands Gretsch, Gibraltar, Kat, Latin Percussion, Toca, and others, including Ovation Guitars, from Fender to Drum Workshop. Distribution of Sabian Cymbals in the United States, which previously was handled by Kaman Music Corporation, is also part of the transaction. In a separate statement, Kaman Music announced that it will continue its distribution business. Kaman is one of the largest distributors with 200 brands and more than 20,000 products on hand.
“This is an amazing opportunity to extend our passion and commitment for the art of drumming,” said Chris Lombardi, President and CEO of Drum Workshop, Inc. We’re excited to welcome these legendary American brands to the DW family."
For DW Drums, this is an enormous step up in its aspirations. Founded in 1972, the family owned and operated manufacturing company also boasts the award-winning DW Drums brand, as well as Pacific Drums and Percussion (PDP). Details of the purchase are forthcoming, however it has been announced that DW Drums manufacturing operations will remain in California, Gretsch drum production will continue in South Carolina and LP’s offices will stay in Garfield, New Jersey.
"We are extremely proud of our team's effort to nurture and grow each of the individual brands and are enthusiastic for their future,” said Fender Music’s interim CEO and board member Scott Gilbertson. “We recognize the strategic opportunity for DW and are confident that they will be champions of the brands moving forward."
“It promises to be a very exciting year”, continued Lombardi. My father (DW Founder, Don Lombardi) and I are whole-heartedly dedicated to these already well-established brands and see a bright future ahead for the entire drum industry.”
Caption: DW Drums is adding Gretsch, Toca, LP, Kat, and Gibraltatar to its percussion line which includes DW Drums and hardware and Pacific Drums And Percussion.
Periphery On Tour: Matt Halpern Stars On February Cover
Matt Halpern graces the cover of DRUM!'s February 2015 issue with an interview that takes you inside his playing secrets and survival tips for today's drummers. Not coincidentally, Periphery is embarking this week on its biggest tour to date, the Juggernaut tour. The new issue will be out January 12. In the meantime, tour dates are below.
- January 10 Carrboro, NC Cat’s Cradle
- January 11 Charlotte, NC The Fillmore
- January 12 Atlanta, GA Masquerade
- January 13 Tampa, FL Orpheum
- January 14 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Revolution Live
- January 16 New Orleans, LA House of Blues
- January 17 Houston, TX House of Blues
- January 18 Dallas, TX House of Blues
- January 20 Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theatre
- January 21 Phoenix, AZ Club Red
- January 22 Los Angeles, CA House of Blues
- January 23 Anaheim, CA Yost Theater
- January 26 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
- January 27 Portland, OR Hawthorne
- January 28 Seattle, WA El Corazon
- January 30 Salt Lake City, UT In The Venue
- January 31 Denver, CO Summit Music Hall
- February 2 Minneapolis, MN Varsity Theater
- February 3 Chicago, IL House of Blues
- February 4 Detroit, MI St. Andrew’s Hall
- February 6 Toronto, ON Opera House
- February 7 Montreal, QC Corona Theatre
- February 8 Albany, NY Upstate Concert Hall
- February 9 Rochester, NY WaterStreet Music Hall
- February 11 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
- February 12 New York, NY Irving Plaza
- February 13 Silver Spring, MD The Fillmore
- February 14 Philadelphia, PA District N9ne
Zhong Youngguang, China's First Rock Drummer Passes
Zhang Yongguang, drummer of China's first rock band "Ado" has died at the age of 53. According to reports from CRI it is believed that Zhang was suffering from depression when hecommitted suicide on December 23, 2014.
Zhang has been well-known since the 1980s and is considered an outstanding drummer. The band Ado collaborated frequently with Cui Jian, "the father of Chinese rock," recording the tune "Nothing To My Name" in 1986 (listen to the video). That song later became the unofficial theme of the Tiananmen Square demonstrations in 1989. They also recorded "Rock 'N' Roll On The New Long March."
DRUM! and Bruno Mars Drummer Eric Hernandez Launch The E-Panda Hooligan Headphones Giveaway
December 17, 2014, San Jose California: DRUM! Magazine announced today a special holiday giveaway with Eric "E-Panda" Hernandez, drummer for Bruno Mars and lead endorser for Razer Kraken Hooligan Headphones. The magazine is giving away ten pairs of Eric's headphones along with ten pairs of the Vic Firth X55A sticks he plays. The X55A stick is slightly longer and more powerful than a traditional 5A.
About Eric Hernandez
Eric Hernandez was born in 1976 in Brooklyn, New York and started drumming professionally at the age of ten, playing in a variety show band. He worked with artists such as Menudo, Travie McCoy, Louie Says, and others before becoming the session and tour drummer with his brother, Bruno Mars. In addition to working with his signature headphones Eric plays the X55A stick from Vic Firth. He also endorses DW drums, Sabian cymbals, and Remo heads. Eric was featured earlier this year on the June 2014 cover of DRUM! Magazine.
About Razer Hooligan Headphones
The Razer Kraken E-Panda Hooligan headphones were designed with several goals in mind: durability to withstand daily abuse on the go, comfort and fit to keep your head happy for hours on end, and sound quality to let your music move you like you want. The headphones are outfitted with large 40 mm neodymium magnet drivers tuned for crystal clear music in the high-and mid-ranges and packing deep bass for powerful lows, making them really versatile. The ear cups are foldable, making the footprint of these full-sized headphones compact for maximum mobility. For more information visit http://www.razerzone.com/ePanda.
Prize package includes:
- One pair Razer Kraken Eric E-Panda Hernandez Hooligan Headphones
- One pair Vic Firth X55A sticks.
- Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000 Hz
- Ιmpedance: 32 Ω at 1 kHz
- Sensitivity (@1 kHz, 1 V/Pa): 110 ± 4 dB at 1 kHz Max
- Ιnput Power: 50 mW
- Drivers: 40 mm, with Neodymium Magnets
- Inner Ear Cup Diameter: 50 mm / 1.97 in.
- Cable Length: 1.3 m / 4.27 ft. plus 2 m / 6.6 ft. Extension Cable
- Approximate Weight: 280 g / 0.62 lbs.
- Connector: Analog 3.5 mm headphone jack - See more at: http://www.razerzone.com/ePanda#sthash.nwSCB9QR.dpuf
Get Two Issues Of DRUM! Free!
For Drummers Only: Drummers entering the contest can try a free trial subscription to DRUM! Magazine and receive two free issues with no obligation to buy. See the giveaway form for details. http://www.drummagazine.com/giveaways.
For more information on Razer Kraken visit http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-kraken-e-panda-hooligan-headphones. For info on Vic Firth sticks, visit http://www.vicfirth.com.