Inquest: Stuart Cable Died Of Asphyxiation
Inquest: Ex-Stereophonics Drummer Died Of Asphyxiation
By Andy Doerschuk Published October 20, 2010
UPDATE: Yesterday an inquest into the cause of former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable’s death found that he choked on vomit as a result of acute alcohol poisoning following a three-day drinking binge. Pathologist David Stock found Stuart had 407 microgrammes of alcohol in 100millilitres of blood. The legal limit for driving is 80.
Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable was found dead in his South Wales house early in the morning on June 7. Local police declined to report on his cause of death until completion of a full investigation, however it has been reported that the 40-year-old Cable had spent Sunday night drinking at a local pub in his hometown of Llwydcoed, where he left his car overnight, and then entertained some friends at his house into the late evening.
Cable was one of the founding members of Stereophonics, a U.K. alternative rock band that enjoyed a quick ascent to the top of the British charts after the release of its 1996 debut album, Word Gets Around. After performing with the band on three studio albums and a greatest hits package, Cable was fired in 2003, shortly before he planned to quit, according to his 2009 autobiography, Demons And Cocktails. In recent years, Cables had hosted his own television and radio shows for BBC Wales and XFM, took part in a campaign to raise awareness of testicular cancer, and formed a new band, Killing For Company, which had been slated to appear at the Download Festival, in Donington Park this coming weekend.