DRUM! Announces Led Zeppelin Quiz & Giveaway
Test Your Bonham Knowledge To Celebrate The Re-Release Of Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin recorded eight albums, and Jimmy Page has been meticulously re-releasing them one by one over the last 18 months. This week the ambitious double album Physical Graffiti was re-released forty years to the day after it came out. The album didn't feature much in the way of hits but it had plenty of songs that left an indelible mark in rock history, including important Bonham tunes such as "In My Time Of Dying" "Night Flight", to name but two. National Public Radio in the US interviewed Jimmy Page about it earlier this week.
DRUM! has partnered with the record company to give away dozens of pieces of Led Zeppelin triviana and collectibles, including turntable slipmats, pins, badges, coasters, reissued CDs, T-shirts, children's mobiles, postcards, plastic bags, and more.
Take The Quiz
Think you know your John Bonham trivia? To enter, just answer the 3-question quiz put together by our crack team of "Stairway To Heaven" fanatics and you could be one of ten lucky winners.
Billy Cobham Webcast Live From Ronnie Scott's
Ronnie Scott's, the legendary London jazz club, is bringing live HD video of Billy Cobham to the world this Thursday. They have announced the live streaming of global drum legend Billy Cobham's full performance on Friday 27th February 23.15 PM. This is a chance to experience one of the jazz in one of the world’s most iconic venues, all in stunning HD.
The live web stream of Cobham follows Ronnie Scott’s highly successful debut live stream of jazz legend WyntonMarsalis in 2013, when a worldwide audience of over 25,000 tuned in and follows on from last year’s highly successful streams of sold-out shows from Cécile McLorin Salvant, rising-soul star Jarrod Lawson and the Gala 55th Ronnie Scott’s Anniversary with Dianne Reeves concert in October.
With his matchless, dazzling, ambidextrous skills, Billy Cobham has applied the same insistent passion to his monumental achievements including his classic album Spectrum and his stint in the original Mahavishnu Orchestra. Access to the broadcast is free. Viewers will simply need to log onto the club’s website http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk at 11pm British Standard Time on Friday February 27th.
Physcial Graffiti Deluxe Edition Arrives 40 Years After Debut
DRUM! To Give Away Scads Of Zeppelin Collectibles Later This Month
It was forty years ago that Led Zeppelin unleashed Physical Graffiti on the world, and now it will be re-released as part of band's ongoing reissue campaign. The deluxe edition of the group's double-album opus will arrive 40 years to the day after the original debuted on February 24, 1975. The previous reissues were huge commercial successes, and this one will likely follow in their footsteps. And, as a bonus for Bonham fans, with this release DRUM!--with the help of Atlantic Records--will be announcing online contests to give away Zeppelin collectibles. Look for an announcement February 24, 2015.
As with the previous deluxe editions, Physical Graffiti has been newly remastered by guitarist and producer Jimmy Page and is accompanied by a disc of companion audio comprising previously unreleased music related to the original release.
Physical Graffiti will be available February 24th from Atlantic/Swan Song in the following formats:
- Double CD – Remastered album packaged in a replica of the original LP jacket.
- Deluxe Edition (3CD) – Remastered album on two discs, plus a third disc of unreleased companion audio.
- Double LP – Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl, packaged in a sleeve that replicates the LP’s first pressing in exacting detail.
- Deluxe Edition Vinyl (3LP) – Remastered album and unreleased companion audio on 180-gram vinyl.
- Digital Download – Remastered album and companion audio will both be available in standard and high-definition formats.
- Super Deluxe Boxed Set – This collection includes:
- Remastered double album on CD in vinyl replica sleeve.
- Companion audio on CD in card wallet featuring new alternate cover art.
- Remastered double album on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve replicating first pressing.
- Companion audio on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve with new alternate cover art.
- High-definition audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit.
- Hard bound, 96 page book filled with rare and previously unseen photos and memorabilia.
- High-quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered.
Drum Teacher Keith Copeland Passes
Drummer Keith Copeland who was renowned for his role as a teacher to many famous drummers has passed away at the age of 68.
Keith was the son of well-known trumpeter Ray Copeland, and turned to drums after hearing Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers as a kid. Copeland went on to play with dozens of bands and put his mark on more than 100 recordings. He logged time with starts such as the Heath Brothers, George Russell, Frank Foster, Slide Hampton, Milt Jackson, Jo Anne Brackeen, John Dankworth, Rory Stuart, Stanley Cowell, Paul Bley, Howard Alden, Chris Connor, Stan Getz, Ray Anderson, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Tom Harrell, Phil Woods, Roger Kellaway, Stephane Grappelli, Teddy Edwards, Sir Roland Hanna, and Sonny Fortune.
During his teaching career Keith worked at Berklee, Rutgers, Long Island University, New School, Queens College, and Hochschule Für Musik Mannheim-Heidelberg in Germany, gaining reputation through his tutelage of students such as Terry Lyne Carrington and others. He was the author of the book Creative Coordination For The Performing Drummer.
3rdEye Drums: April Issue Stars Hannah Welton
DRUM! Magazine announced today the April issue will feature Hannah Ford Welton, the star of Prince's all-girl band, 3rdEye Girl, which features Hannah, Donna Grantis (guitar) and Ida Neilsen (bass). The former teen drumming prodigy now anchors the band that has wowed audiences for the past year. The street date for the issue is March 17, 2015.
Readers And Newsstand Get A Bonus
In addition, the April issue features a special minibook insert--HOW TO TUNE DRUMS--as a bonus to readers. This handy guide serves as an intro and refresher to getting tuning right.
Other stories in the April issue include a roundup of the Drummers Of The Year as selected by the readers of DRUM! plus the following features:
- Funk legend Mike Clark
- Nicki Minaj tour drummer Darryl "Lilman" Howell
- Mark O'Connell of Taking Back Sunday
- Percussionist Koko Jones, who has played with Santana, Whitney Houston, and others
- A Complete Guide to Multipad Electronic Percussion Instruments. We put all of the major multipad products on the market to the test. Who comes out on top? You'll need the issue to find out.
- Instructional Feature: 20 Ways To Play Shuffles
Look for special displays of the the April Issue at Barnes & Noble and find the magazine at Guitar Center and other great book or music stores.