Liner Note Legends Spotlights The Great Bobbye Hall
Liner Note Legends is documentary series profiling veteran session musicians whose music has been heard by millions but whose names are unknown. Now the series has trained its cameras on Ms. Bobbye Hall who became one of the most in-demand session percussionists of all time, first at Motown's Hitsville U.S.A. and later in the vibrant Los Angeles studio scene of the 1970s.
Ms. Hall was largely uncredited for her early work as a teenager with Motown because she was underage, but her credits include sessions by legends such as Smokey Robinsion, Diana Ross, and The Temptations (see her in the studio here). While there she also struck up friendships with Motown's other child prodigies: Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson.
After moving to LA in 1970 Hall continued working with artist such as Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, playing on monster recordings such as "Let's Get It On" and Stevie's albums Fulfillingness' First Finale and Songs In The Key Of Life. She also branched out to record with Jerry Garcia, Pink Floyd, Grant Green, Bobby Hutcherson, Dolly Parton, Dwight Yoakam, Lynrd Skynyrd, Tom Betty, Bob Dylan, and Stevie Nicks. She has played on twenty-two Top 10 Billboard songs, including six number one hits.
For more info, visit https://www.youtube.com/user/LinerNoteLegends.
App Watch: Drums Complete Amps Up The Beat
Drums Complete with 900+ Beats by Better Day Wireless, Inc. ($9.99, 15.9 MB)
Drums Complete is a feature-rich simulation and teaching app that is fun for learning or playing. The kit is a 12-piece setup, including cowbell, with pressure sensitivity and a simple roll option. In addition to a free play mode, you can also try learning songs to grasp the fundamentals in a rhythm game type of play. Learning mode includes a music staff, note-by-note progression, and your choice of complexity. Once you become skilled and confident enough, go from learning go creating and record your own percussion tunes. This complete version contains more than 900 beat-based songs spanning several genres, but an eight-track version is available for free.
Indiegogo Campaign For Unsung Heroes
Who are the unsung heroes of the music business? Right. The studio cats who lay down the tracks most of us love so well. While previous generations of studio musicians have finally started to get their due, such as the Funk Brothers of Motown, many of today's red light hitmakers have not.
Now, an Indiegogo campaign has kicked off for "Hired Gun" a proposed film covering some of today's top backup players, from Kenny Aronoff and Liberty DeVitto to Steve Vai and Rudy Sarzo. The full title "Hired Gun-Music's Unsung Heroes" has fifteen days left in a campaign to raise money for the film. Check it out.
PreSonus Soundsets: Acoustic Drum Loops
Three new PreSonus soundsets of acoustic drum loops are now available for purchase.
These drum performances, recorded in-studio with world-class microphones, are ready to use in stereo or multitrack format. Each style is an entire library of matching loops that can be arranged to fit any song form, just as a real drummer would play them, and includes individual loops for verses, bridges, choruses, fills, and variations.
The multitrack loops contain separate tracks for kick, snare, hi-hat, toms, overhead mics, room mics, and ambient mics so you can mix and edit to taste.
Get your own starting at $59.99, here.
2014 Wishbook Features Great Holiday Gear.
- The Holiday Wishbook for 2014 is loaded with tons of new gear that will be available during the upcoming holiday season from companies such as Pearl, Gretsch, Tama, DW, Natal, LP, Zildjian, Sabian, Dream, Axis, Alternate Mode, Ddrum, GonBops, Hudson, and many others.
- You can download the entire wishbook or view it online. This is DRUM!'s 10th annual wishbook and one of the biggest yet with 89 listings representing hundreds of products.
- Over the next month we'll highlight each of these on the home page. View the Wishbook onscreen below or download it here.
Find great prices and gear for the holidays.
- Yamaha DTX drum sets
- ddrum 6-piece digital drum set
- Sabian AAX cymbals
- DW Snares and accessories
- Pinch-Clip flexible flange (wingnut replacement)
- Maxonix StickArk
- Drumchannel Ultimate Rock Trivia Boardgame
- Remo Silentstroke Drumheads
- DW Drums Acrylics and Frequent Flyers
- Dream Cymbals Ignition Packs
- Response Drums Handmade Exotic Series
- Regaltip Brushes and Sticks
- Meliti Acoustics handmade drums
- Power Wrist Builders Heavy Christmas
- Sabian Box sets and crashes
- Alternate Mode Kat pedals and triggers
- Tama Drums and Pedals
- Kat Digital Drum Sets
- LP and Toca Hand Drums for the Holidays
- Gretsch That Great Gretsch Sound
- Gibraltar Hardware Products
- Natal Drums and Hardware
- Pearl Pedals