Portnoy, de los Reyes Crowned In 2014 Drummies!
San Jose, Calif., -- Mike Portnoy may have no equal, at least with his fellow drummers. The perennial prog drumming star (and five-time DRUM! cover artist) won his fourth Drummer of the Year award in the 17th Annual Drummies! Awards, voted on by the readers of DRUM! magazine. For a complete listing of all winners in the 40+ categories that comprise the Drummies!, see below.
The official winners will be covered in the September 2014 issue of DRUM! magazine, available on newsstands August 5, 2014.
Portnoy Brightest Among Many Stars
The votes were cast and Portnoy came out on top against a great group of runners-up including jazz giant Jeff “Tain” Watts, all-world studio star and punk legend Josh Freese, and Mike Mangini, last year’s winner who also replaced Portnoy in the band Dream Theater a couple of years back.
In part, Portnoy’s victory may be a result of how busy he was this year. He played or recorded with The Winery Dogs, Big Elf, Adrenaline Mob, and contributed to many other bands and projects, keeping his feet to the pedal all year.
Rising Star Hannah Ford Royal Win
Hannah Ford, who has been in the public eye since her teens, won the Rising Star Award thanks to the success as drummer in Prince’s 3rdEye Girl. She was followed by newer stars Deric Dickens, Matt Gartska and Scott Pellegrom.
Other top winners in the drum set categories included Rascal Flatt’s skinsman Jim Riley (Country category), Jay-Z’s drummer Tony Roster Jr. (Hip-hop) and the Roots’ Questlove (Funk).
Daniel de los Reyes Takes Percussion Crown
Percussionist of the year title goes to Daniel de los Reyes, the hard-hitting percussionist for Zac Brown Band. Daniel, who comes from a legendary Cuban-American musical family, is known for adding his percussive talents to a long list of top stars. With ZBB, he really gets to shine in a band filled with great musicians.
Daniel doubled up by winning the Rock/Pop/Hip-Hop Percussionist category as well. Surprisingly, he was joined in the winners circle by his father, who won Percussion Clinician of the Year. The elder Reyes, himself the son of a famous Cuban musician, has continued to be an inspiration to the drumming community as his career enters its seventh decade. Other top winners in hand percussion included Alex Acuña (Jazz and Studio categories) Poncho Sanchez (Latin), and Blue Man Group (Percussion Ensemble).
DRUM SET CATEGORIES
- Drummer Of The Year: Mike Portnoy
- Runners Up: Jeff 'Tain' Watts, Josh Freese, Mike Mangini
- Rising Star: Hannah Ford
- Runners Up: Deric Dickens (The Dickens Campaign), Matt Garstka, Scott Pellegrom
- Rock/Pop Drummer: Chad Smith
- Runners Up: Abe Laboriel, Jr., Kenny Aronoff, Todd Sucherman
- Country Drummer: Jim Riley
- Runners Up: Chris McHugh, Rich Redmond, Sean Paddock
- Gospel Drummer: Aaron Spears
- Runners Up: George 'Spanky' McCurdy, Gerald Heyward, Gorden Campbell
- Funk Drummer: Questlove
- Runners Up: Adam Deitch, David Garibaldi, Stanton Moore
- Progressive Rock Drummer: Mike Portnoy
- Runners Up: Gavin Harrison, Matt Garstka, Mike Mangini
- Hip-Hop Drummer: Tony Royster Jr.
- Runners Up: Questlove, Aaron Spears, Brett Baker
- Extreme Metal Drummer: Derek Roddy
- Runners Up: Dirk Verbeuren, Mario Duplantier, Tomas Haake
- Punk Drummer: Brooks Wackerman
- Runners Up: Tré Cool, Brandon Barnes, Marky Ramone
- Blues Drummer: Steve Jordan
- Runners Up: Tim Austin, Tony Braunagel, Tony Coleman
- Jazz Drummer: Peter Erskine
- Runners Up: Jack DeJohnette, Kendrick Scott, Matt Wilson
- Hard Rock/Metal Drummer: Chris Adler
- Runners Up: Abe Cunningham, Charlie Benante, Glen Sobel
- Alternative Rock Drummer: Dave Grohl
- Runners Up: Erin Tate, Sean Kinney, Tim Alexander
- Studio Drummer: Vinnie Colaiuta
- Runners Up: Matt Chamberlain, Kenny Aronoff, John “JR” Robinson
- Drum Set Clinician: Todd Sucherman
- Runners Up: Mike Johnston, Matt Halpern, Rich Redmond
- Percussionist Of The Year: Daniel de los Reyes
- Runners Up: Luis Conte ,Pedrito Martinez, Jamey Haddad
- Rising Star Percussionist: Rafael Pereira
- Runners Up: Pedrito Martinez, Weedie Braimah, Jahir Sala
- Rock/Pop/Hip-Hop Percussionist: Daniel de los Reyes
- Runners Up: Frankie Knuckles, Mauro Refosco, Aaron Draper
- Latin Percussionist: Poncho Sanchez
- Runners Up: Luis Conte, Karl Perazzo, Orestes Vilato
- World Percussionist: Pete Lockett
- Runners Up: Austin Wrinkle, Jamey Haddad, Weedie Braimah
- Jazz Percussionist: Alex Acuña
- Runners Up: Zakir Hussein, Manolo Badrena, Mino Cinelu
- Studio Percussionist: Alex Acuña
- Runners Up: Lenny Castro, Bashiri Johnson, Kevin Ricard
- Percussion Clinician: Walfredo Reyes Sr.
- Runners Up: Karl Perazzo, Roland Garcia, Richie Gajate-Garcia
- Percussion Ensemble: Blue Man Group
- Runners Up: Duo Percussion, TorQ Percussion Quartet, So Percussion
About Enter Music Publishing
Founded in San Jose, CA in 1991, Enter Music Publishing, Inc. is a leading publisher of informative and entertaining media for drummers.